Binoculars help

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I am getting a sore neck from carrying my binoculars around my neck on day hikes.

I have tried the elasticated shoulder harnesses; which are fine when I'm not wearing a rucksack. But on big hikes with the pack I can't get on with it.

Does anyone know of any other solutions? pouches that might work better?
I use Binos:- steiner 8x30 and rucksacks Lowe Alpine Sting or Berghause freeflow (on shorter walks)

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Could you try attaching the bins to the straps of the rucksack? I was playing around with some paracord straps on my bins/camera that would attach via small clips to the d rings on my rucksack.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I was thinking about a molle pouch attached to the waist belt, but then thought it might be putting too much weight on the strap.

This would be my 1st approach too (MOLLE or ALICE attachments to the waistbely) I don't see how it would overstrain the strap frankly. Are you carrying full sized binoculars? Or compacts?

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
they are full sized, weigh 510g (18oz) dimesions:- 170mmx127mmx60mm, I think with the weight and shape they might be a little awkward on the waist belt..

heres some pics to illustrate them
34f0503.jpgetf5zt.jpg

Attachments

• 156368_ts.jpg
    156368_ts.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That weight is only about half that of a 1 quart canteen which was designed for waist carry. It would probably be a bit awkward in front but shift it to one side and it shouldn't be a problem.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
On longer hikes with a pack either use a shoulder bag something like a gas mask bag would do but Eurohike etc all make suitable small shoulder pouches and you could keep other things handy like camera etc
If thats not viable then do what I do and pocket carry a monocular or compacts-less weight is my main reason though

Goingnative

Feb 20, 2011
Surrey
Could you try attaching the bins to the straps of the rucksack? I was playing around with some paracord straps on my bins/camera that would attach via small clips to the d rings on my rucksack.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I would go along with this suggestion. If you could make attachments for your binos that attach to the shoulder straps of the pack. this would put the binos in front as on a neck strap, making them usable while carrying a pack. If you could make them detachable you could use the attachments for a neck strap when not carrying a pack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE