Chest Rig Idea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gleams

Nov 20, 2006
Romford
In February I went for a weekend trip hiking along the Sussex Border Path from Bewl Water towards East Grinstead.

My debriefing of this trip included the following:
- The straps of the rucksack hindered my access to my smock pockets.
- The water bottle and pouch I carried attached to the waist strap of the rucksack seemed to pull on it and cause it to loosen. Every so often I would have to raise the rucksack on my back by leaning over and tighten the waist belt as best I could.

Which got my thinking about the possibility of a chest rig containing my water bottle and a pouch (which usually contains energy bar, binos, camera etc).
I have a molle chest rig but I am slightly concerned that it is not all that easy to get on and off, and it may get in the way of the main rucksack straps.

I am therefore toying with the idea of making my own. I thought as a starting point I might acquire a front carrying baby carrier. These I assume are relatively easy to get on and off and most have nice padded shoulder straps. I can then strip off any unwanted fabric and attached some straps molle straps to it ready for my pouches.

Has any one done anything similar?

How do other people who prefer to carry everything on their bags on long walks deal with accessing items like camera etc?

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Couple of clips ( in this case SMG Sling clips) threaded onto the bergen straps:

005%20Attached_zpsvfldveju.jpg

Admin pouch attached:

Me%20and%20Karl%20-%20Copy_zpscereuqbp.jpg

ResponsePak:

010%20Response%20Pack%20Front_zpsjvku7ezb.jpg

I just unclip one side to put on/take off bergen.

HTH

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Depending on what you need, i would say that snacks can go in pockets, water in the pack accessible via a camelbak etc system, and camera (at least if its a compact) on a pouch affixed vertically to the shoulder strap.

A chect rig, at least of the traditional sense, would seem fairly restrictive to accessing your pockets, warm, and if you were bothered, look fairly odd!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Has any one done anything similar?..."

On the fly, while on a very long walk I took a lowe bumbag which had two water-bottle slots on each side and secured it to the two D rings on my rucksack straps using a spare camera strap. I can't remember how it was secured at the bottom, possibly the bum bag belt went through the waist strap.

This meant my water was to hand, my camera was protected from the elements and my guidebooks and maps and notebook were all handy too. This is the only decent pic I could find and it only shows the strap, not the bag...

rig.jpg

"...How do other people who prefer to carry everything on their bags on long walks deal with accessing items like camera etc?..."

I have in the past done away with a normal camera strap and used a piece of para-cord instead. I can wear this beneath my pack straps and slide the camera under my arm and quickly bring across my chest up up to my eye when needed.

camera.jpg

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
You skould look into why your waist strap slips like that. I put pouches and a canteen on mine and no slipping.
Lots of ways to attach stuff to the shoulder straps as shown above.
Also in the winter time I wear an anorak. The kangaroo pocket fits in between all straps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE