Binocular recommendations please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goodison555

Jan 14, 2011
UK
Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend a pair of lightweight binoculars please. Olympus get some great reviews on amazon - has anyone had any experience of these? Bushnell look good too.

Thanks

E

ex member coconino

What's your objective?* Is your focus* on landmarks, wildlife or stargazing? Do you expect to use them in low light or daylight or both? These will all affect your decision.

* Small binocular jokes there.

Goodison555

Jan 14, 2011
UK
I would expect to use them in both daylight and low light (dawn/dusk) and the focus would be wildlife. They do need to be fairly lightweight, and I was hoping to spend £65 at the most.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I love my Nikon travel lites but just over £100. Very nice clear optics in most light conditions.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I would look at the sthrathspey the sell on eBay .
I have two pairs and love them the 8x32 I use the most 10x 50 too heavy really unless you want to watch stuff in the real dark and don't mind the weight (on you neck and arms)
8 x 32 are waterproof would have preferred them to be 10x but didn't do them.
Dave
Mk on song of the paddle has a review up on the site

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi,
I've got some Nikon Travellite from Uttings a few years ago - excellent and they were reduced too. Might be worth checking out. Had them nicked a few months ago, replaced them with the 7Dayshop own brand - also very good but considerably larger. Olympus, Visionary and Luger all have good offerings too.
regards

Goodison555

Jan 14, 2011
UK
Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm going to have to choose some that are both waterproof and lightweight. I'll definitely be checking out those by Nikon travelite - appears there are several models in this series.

Goodison555

Jan 14, 2011
UK
BTW - the travelites by Nikon get a very good review on birdforum.net, with the only downside being their performance in low light levels, apparently. I think I am going to buy a very cheap pair to begin with and can then decide whether I really need anything better. Thanks for all the input.

E

ex member coconino

Let us know what you get and perhaps post a review here. I always travel with a pair of Helios 10 x 50s, which are mostly used for stargazing, they're not the lightest but it's weight I'm happy to bear for the views they give me. I sometimes carry a tripod but recently spotted a walking pole with a camera mount screw in the handle (under a flip top) which would fit the binoculars.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi,
If you are going to go for a really cheap pair the 7dayshop are worth looking at - lots of reviews (inc on here) about them. One of the best £20 I've spent for value. No affiliation etc

dj77

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2010
South West, UK
Well on the strength of recommendations here and especially this one on birdforum.net: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=53991 I just purchased a pair of the 7dayshop 10x42 waterproof bins.
One guy said on most occasions he would choose them over his £200 Leica so at less than £20 Inc. p&p I thought it was worth a pop.
So thanks for the thread I will add an update when I've has a chance to play with them

David

I just though I ought to add I have no connection to any bodies mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hammy

Forager
Sep 28, 2004
Pegswood, Northumberland.
After reading magickellys review of these
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34042&highlight=Strathspey
Sold by this guy in Avimore
http://www.strathspey.co.uk/ (the guides on his website are very good for a novice bino user)
I bought a pair of the 8 x 42's (which are now built in the same style as the 8 x 32's not shown on his website though, there the old style ones)
Had them a year now and use them daily. Friends with very expensive bino's are shocked when they try them and see the quality, even in low light conditions.
One very happy customer,

Last edited:

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
I've a couple of pairs of Steiner bins - the lightweight Wildlife & the bigger Skyhawk. Have to say they are hard to fault - keep your eyes peeled on the Bay......

Goodison555

Jan 14, 2011
UK
Hi,
If you are going to go for a really cheap pair the 7dayshop are worth looking at - lots of reviews (inc on here) about them. One of the best £20 I've spent for value. No affiliation etc

Well i've gone and done it - ordered a pair of these as I really don't think they can be beaten on value, especially if they live up to the reviews. My only apprehension is about the weight but then I don't see many binoculars that are significantly lighter, particularly those that are also waterproof.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
After reading magickellys review of these
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34042&highlight=Strathspey
Sold by this guy in Avimore
http://www.strathspey.co.uk/ (the guides on his website are very good for a novice bino user)
I bought a pair of the 8 x 42's (which are now built in the same style as the 8 x 32's not shown on his website though, there the old style ones)
Had them a year now and use them daily. Friends with very expensive bino's are shocked when they try them and see the quality, even in low light conditions.
One very happy customer,

And your chat with me didnt help lol
I have the 8x32 and they are great, ive just ordered the 8x42 for stalking ( even better for low light) they are brilliant, better than £500 plus ones ive tried.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE