Bimble down the Cage brook - Pic Heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Lovely soft warm weather was irrisistable this afternoon, I couldn't resist. I took the phone camera and went out to see what was about, what plants I could find, on the lines of the "Wildlife Challenge" post. I set off across the field from our house to the Cage Brook ...

IMAG1970.jpg
this is a small stream that has its beginnings over near Dorestone and winds its way past our house and on down to a mediaeval quay on the Wye just below our Iron Age hillfort. I decided to do some plant hunting to see how many species I could come up with ...

IMAG1971.jpg
Dock

IMAG1972.jpg
Alder flowers and catkins - the banks of the stream are thick with alder and hawthorn

IMAG1973.jpg
some gorgeous brand new clover - the field by the stream is cattle pasture, sometimes sheep.

IMAG1974.jpg
somebody got lunch ... :)

IMAG1975.jpg
thistle - not sure which sort though; help needed ...

IMAG1976.jpg
buttercups coming

IMAG1977.jpg
not sure of this one ... help ???

IMAG1978.jpg
goose grass baby - tea good for getting the lymph going

IMAG1979.jpg
dandelion

IMAG1980.jpg
hog weed

IMAG1981.jpg
nettle

IMAG1982.jpgIMAG1983.jpg
celendine

IMAG1984.jpg
flags coming up - couldn't get too close as the mud is deep!

IMAG1985.jpg
one of several woodpiles the famrer leaves - good habitat but I'm not sure he does it for that!

IMAG1986.jpg
moles woken up !!!

IMAG1987.jpg
a wide pool in the Cage Brook

IMAG1988.jpg
lovely mixed up habitat - a huge old oak with his feet in the water being swarmed by a holly and loads of ivey (good for owls) and with lots of holes and nooks and crannies for beasties and insects.

IMAG1989.jpg
a wider view of the mixed habitat

IMAG1990.jpg
celendine (& things) patch on the banks of the brook

IMAG1991.jpg
I'm not sure what this is ... help ???

IMAG1992.jpgIMAG1993.jpg
arums (lords and ladies) coming along fine

IMAG1994.jpg
kill zone, close to where our resident buzzards nest

IMAG1995.jpg
I took these three feathers and posed them so you can see the ends ...

IMAG1996.jpg
then, right by the kill zone, "find of the day" ... :D:cool:

IMAG1998.jpgIMAG1997.jpg
a few inches away I found these ...

IMAG1999.jpg
I'm useless at cotyledons ...help! :D

IMAG2000.jpg
and this is just too pretty :)

IMAG2001.jpg
somebodies home - right by the brook so suspected rat rather than rabbit although we have rabbits coming out of our ears!

IMAG2003.jpg
foxglove ???

IMAG2004.jpgIMAG2005.jpg
dung flies mating at the restaurant :D

It was a grand little bimble. I didn't go very far but was out for over an hour, going slowly and getting shots of what I noticed. Was very pleased with the kill zone and the scat :D

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ah, a bimble thread. It just had to be you! It looked like a great day to be out, but I can't stop coughing, so its all day on the computer for me.

Pictures. Hmm...

The thistle is spear thistle (long spine at the leaf tip, and very sharp)
The buttercup is either bulcous or creeping buttercup. Impossible to tell without the flowers.
Your first Help! picture - don't know about the bright green plant, but the darker one is wood anemone.
Your cotyledons are not yet identifiable
Not sure about your out of focus pretty
And I don't think it is foxglove, but I'm not sure what it is. First thought was mullein, but that growns in rosettes and is grey on top. Second thought was butterbur, but it isn't. Dammit, I know this...

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

BenTheSweep

Apr 12, 2013
Bristol
Lovely post.
I've been out with the dog for a woods amble today. You've inspired me to take the camera tomorrow.

Thank you

Ben The Sweep
--------------#

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm sorry about the cough, Mike.

Yes, you've reminded me now :) ...
The thistle is spear thistle (long spine at the leaf tip, and very sharp) it's definitely sharp! Very attractive.
The buttercup is either bulcous or creeping buttercup. Impossible to tell without the flowers. creeping buttercup, i know from later on in the year!
Your first Help! picture - don't know about the bright green plant, but the darker one is wood anemone. ah yes, wood anemone, I couldn't think of it although I could see the flowers in my head
Your cotyledons are not yet identifiable ... oh well !!!
Not sure about your out of focus pretty nor me, and too out of focus!
And I don't think it is foxglove, but I'm not sure what it is. First thought was mullein, but that growns in rosettes and is grey on top. Second thought was butterbur, but it isn't. Dammit, I know this... it is butterbur! Couldn't think. I know because the darn thing covers me in them when I'm collecting hawthorn for jam in the autumn! I sort of knew it wasn't foxglove but couldn't remember. Never seen mullein down there, it's the north side of the stream.

It was fun doing the observation, recommend the phone or camera.

magpiewolf

Nov 10, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Check if it's comfrey - young comfrey and young foxglove can be easily confused. Comfrey leaves will feel bristly and smell cucumberish when bruised - foxglove has a rank scent and the leaf is less bristly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE