Biltong maker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dabberty

Tenderfoot
Nice, well done. I made one also a few years ago, about 3x your size box, had there 2 bulbs, and a ventilator on top. After a while removed the ventilator, as it took away the "heat" in the box. Now with 2 bulbs on, and no ventilator, i get temps of 32c inside the box. Slices as thick as 1 inch or so need 2 to 3 days before they are perfect.
I keep the ingredients simple: salt, pepper, and koriander powder.

Curious with how it turns out for you, good luck !

marcdjay

Jun 7, 2013
Cleveland
Nice one, tempting me to make my own. What spices did you use?

Also, i'm going to need a sample for testing..... food safety and all that.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Temps are low (very low) but it seems to be drying OK.

I'm led to believe the ventilation is much more important than the heat. I hope so as it's damn cold in the garage.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
End of day two

660321a3f8cad31989894025c0813790.jpg

Bit worried about the cold temps and the high humidity.

1e85c18082d02ed7996ddf7be7832f3e.jpg

Pulled a smaller chunk to see what was going on in it.

79012785641da9b2a91ad04040f7eb00.jpg

Seems to be the same colour throughout. Not as dry as I was hoping.

Taste (yes if I'm dead tomorrow that's probably why) nothing bad tasting, just lots of pepper. Oh well... Wish me well.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I do much the same with bison meat but I cut the strips much thinner.
Both cure and seasoning from Cabella's.
'S' butcher's hooks made from a chopped-up coat hanger. One rack as high as possible, meat hung from that.
Over a large sheet pan to catch the drips. About 200F in my kitchen oven, door cracked open for a couple of hours.
Frozen, they freezer-burn/dry with lots of ice (meat water) in the bags which I dump out.

I don't mind it dry to sort of suck on. Bit of boiling water & a carrot & potato = burgoo.

Rather than beef, I have been buying entire sides of bison for the past 12 years, now $3.00/lb on the hook (bone-in, cleaned quarters)
Cut as I want, wrapped, labelled and quick-frozen, about $4/lb in my freezer (really boney critters).
Cut-it-with-a-fork-tender, just 2g fat/100g cooked meat (beef is 9). Pemmican is the next experiment!

Last edited:

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Cheers Robson

Not dead this morning, nor am I a permanent fixture to the loo.

I didn't mean to season so heavily - I'd seasoned once and didn't notice my friend re-seasoning behind me...

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
Nice set up, well done. I wonder, how fast is the fan spinning? I would think you only need a slow speed for gentle airflow so not to remove all the heat from the bulb?

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Heat isn't really an issue I've been told, more airflow the better.

I sneaked the box inside last night but the wife has already discovered it. Much lower moisture content than the garage

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
proper job. Similar to the ones I first saw made out of an old bedside cabinet by these guys goodjob
(Quick push for their cheap courses as well
Non Subscribers- £45 PER PERSON OR £90 FOR A FAMILY OF UP TO FIVE! (Two adults and three children)
Subscribers- £35 PER PERSON OR £70 FOR A FAMILY OF UP TO FIVE! (Two adults and three children) (Refund of the difference will be issued))

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Hi Tim: good report and you aren't tied down on the Big White Telephone.

I use a mix of salts formulated as a "cure" to prevent spoilage. A chemical "cooking", if you will.
Then the seasoning, then the drying. A little heat only speeds up the dehydration
in the direction of durability.

I'm curious to learn what your plans are in preparation for consumption.

Aside from a mixing trick to achieve the needed consistency, I find it practical to use bison burger.
Cabella's sell a "Jerky Pistol" which holds a pound/454g and squirts out a 1/2" wide strip about 15'
in total length. On a large cake rack, in the oven, the result is quite appetizing.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Sorry to disappoint I just eat it :) I've eaten some this evening as it's dried in the warm atmosphere of the house. Sadly, it's a bit on the salty side!

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
52ecd2d5950650a127438000e02bba0e.jpg

Bigger stuff is spot on - not too salty.

I prefer to have a bit more colour in it, but it's lovely and soft in the middle.

I've eaten about 200g and not an ill effect yet so I can only presume full success.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I asked the butcher to cut it like that. Took a lot of work explaining what I wanted as it was the opposite to his he normally cut it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE