Bilmo Bushgear canvas bedroll!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I was kindly sent a Bilmo Bushgear canvas bedroll so that I could test it out and share my thoughts on how it performed during use. It is 2m long and is a great fit for me in all dimensions, however if you are taller and require a longer bedroll- Bilmo could easily make one to your specifications. It is constructed of 15oz cotton canvas and the base is waxed to ensure no moisture gets in. It is at home in the woods and is perfect when set up with or without a small tarp depending on the weather conditions. It weighs 7.5 pounds or 3.4 kg. At first this may seem heavy- but it contains your sleep system and your mat. Due to the warmth of the canvas only a small blanket is needed at this time of year so all in all your sleep set up will not work out very heavy at all. The premium materials also contribute to the weight but these are responsible for the famed durability of canvas. The bedroll is nice and wide with nice height as well- you can spread out and sleep comfortably with plenty of space. It faired very well and I slept great. It was comfortable and I had no problems during the night. The breathability of the fabric meant there was zero condensation - which is important to stop you and your sleeping bag/blanket becoming damp. On to some photos:

My set up (using a canvas tarp also made by Bilmo)

imagejpg1_zpsdefd6996.jpg

imagejpg2_zps7c0df306.jpg

Heavy duty zipper with a nice cord pull:

imagejpg4_zpsab78922d.jpg

The bag has plenty of height so it's easy to fit yourself and your blanket/ sleeping bag in:

imagejpg2_zps5e4617aa.jpg

It's simple to get in as the bag opens wide and has zippers on both sides:

imagejpg3_zps606ae86d.jpg

The pillow sack is a great feature which allows you to stuff your spare clothes or even some moss inside to make a nice comfy pillow:

imagejpg3_zpsbc75de4c.jpg

There is a slot which you can insert a mat into to insulate your body from the ground. It came with a closed cell foam mat however you could use a Therm-a-rest or another inflatable mat or even use browse like moss and spruce boughs on site:

imagejpg4_zps3eb617ec.jpg

There are a number of D rings around the bedroll so you can peg it to the ground to prevent it moving if you are a restless sleeper or on a slope:

imagejpg1_zpsb958c153.jpg

There is also a flap which has two D rings which stretches far behind the end of the bedroll. This means that in very wet weather you can tie it up to protect you without becoming encased. This is like the effect of a hooped bivvy but without the hoop- meaning it is less likely to break and easier to set up:

imagejpg1_zps25c686c8.jpg

The bedroll comes with straps to hold it together in a roll but it also enables you to attach it to the bottom of your Rucksack or even make a tumpline:

imagejpg2_zpsbd7cb577.jpg

Conclusion: the Bilmo Bushgear bedroll is a quality piece of equipment that is great for use when your out in the woods. The bedroll functions just as it was intended and is great for situations when you may choose to sleep close to the fire without a tarp, as no sparks will bother the canvas, but it's equally at home under a tarp if you are in a particularly wet or windy area.

What improvements would I make?

A logo- I think it would be nice if Bilmo had a logo so his work would be more recognisable.
I would prefer the straps to be leather - however both this and the logo do not affect the performance in any way.
My final change would be a small pocket for valuables such as key and wallet but also a head torch- this may make life easier for longer periods out camping.

So the Bilmo canvas bedroll is a great piece of kit that will serve you well in the great outdoors - I would recommend this for anyone interested in sleeping out in the woods or the fells.

I hope you enjoyed the review.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Excellent review and what looks like a great item.

I would love to see a full length photograph taken from the side of the bag rigged with the

flap which has two D rings which stretches far behind the end of the bedroll. This means that in very wet weather you can tie it up to protect you without becoming encased. This is like the effect of a hooped bivvy but without the hoop- meaning it is less likely to break and easier to set up:

Last question - are the D rings plastic or metal?

Good review

Red

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria

I would love to see a full length photograph taken from the side of the bag rigged with the

Good review

Red

Cheers Hugh! I'll try and get that photo tomorrow if I can :). And they're plastic mate :).

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
That's a very nice bit of kit there, Bilmo's done himself proud again and your review was very good as well Cameron :)

What's the width of the bedroll as I couldn't see that in your write up?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria

Good review

Red

Ask and you shall receive...

imagejpg1_zps3d93e564.jpg

I could have it higher up but that was a sturdy method and it would be great if it was wet :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE