Billy can VS Kettle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hi

Just wondering, what do you think would be better to take on a camping trip to use for boiling water? Something like a billy can or just some sort of pan with a way of hanging over the fire etc or something like a whistling kettle.

Thanks

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Simple answer - take something that will do more than one job. Then you have less to carry/more space for something else. :)

Chris

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
thanks for the help you three, I already thought the billycan would be a better option than the kettle because of the fact it was multifunctional, just needed clarification.

Thanks again

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I know others have said take something that will do more than one job but my experience is that its best to have something that is only used for water - that way you can always brew up, sterilise water, or heat water for a shave (yes I do even in the backwoods) without having to scrape gunk out from last night's meal. I've tried the super light-weight one pan for every thing idea and after over 40 years have opted for a dedicated water pan plus one other.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
well in regards to not taking something that only does one job, I think its acceptable to take a container thats sole purpose is to boil water (eg a kettle or designated billy) i made a mistake of just bringing one billycan once and I had to really scrub it clean after each meal, when Id really just want to brew tea. For lightweight camping Im sure you would have to make do with with one billy but if you arent hiking why not take a light kettle as well and save yourself a bit of hassle.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You could go for the best of both worlds and get a Zebra kettle. It`s identical to the billy can but it`s got a spout aswell.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
This has actually been on my mind for a while so thank you for bringing it up.
You say bring one thing that has more then one use. I have mentioned in another thread that the norwegian "outdoors guru" Lars Monsen only brings one pot and it is a kettle.
He uses it for morning porridge, coffee, mash, rice, pasta and for boiling fish.
I like the idea of the kelly kettle as an efficient way of heating water but it doesn´t seem to be much good for regular cooking (I have never tried one). It might be worth the weight if you are on a basecamp type trip.
A narrow bottomed billy is good for boiling water and cooking noodles and such but if you want to do some real cooking I like a larger bottom pot much better.
Maybe a kettle with a large opening and small spout is a good compromise?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
For lightweight camping Im sure you would have to make do with with one billy but if you arent hiking why not take a light kettle as well and save yourself a bit of hassle.

I would still take two pots that fit inside each other so that they take less space. You have to be more discipliened about not 'fouling' your water pot but it's worth the space saving.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Broch

You beat me to it.

I have used the two pots from a civilian trangia, which fit snugly inside each other.

I can put the pot grab inside the pot and still have room to store food or brew kit in it as well.

Phill

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
hmmm, seems to be very mixed opinions here :(

Bushcraftsman - you'll always get that as we have all had different good/bad experiences. I just know that when I wake up on a cold frosty morning I can make a brew without trying to clean out last night's stew. If you're in an area where you have to boil all your water that's invaluable because otherwise, at some point on your trip, you'll take a chance 'cos the pot is dirty and drink the water un-boiled.

numpty

Feb 7, 2009
mansfield
from personal experience id go for to nesting pans or if your on your own a billy and a steel mug the mug will do for a brew if the billy's got food in . Me and my wife cycled to India . We just used a 2litre and 1litre nesting pan set MSR stove and fires where possible .

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I use a billy for food and a trangia kettle for a brew.I like to have a brew while my food is cooking,hard to do with only one pot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE