Billhook

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I got a billhook off Biker a year or so ago, but to my shame haven't found much time to use it. However, at the weekend I dug it out - still nicely sharp, thanks B! - and attacked a huge bundle of branches lopped off acouple of larges Beeches that were threatening both the house and nearby telephone lines. (The lopping was done by a professional by the way - letting me loose with a chainsaw and ladders is guaranteed to end in blood and tears..)

This thing is definitely the biz. Childishly easy (lucky for me..) to srip branches from the larger limbs, and chopped through the thicker pieces with aplomb. Purely a personal point of view, but I found it easier to use than an axe in similar circumstances, being easier to manoevre.. Had a quick play at using it as a drawknife too!

So many thanks Biker, although I'm afraid to report that the MZ is still buried under the overgrown hedge and ivy - a project for later!

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Glad to hear you enjoyed the billhook! Ive been using a billhook for a couple of years now, in the garden, camping etc and I love it! I honestly dont know why more people havent tried one out. Much better than carrying a large knife around and usually lighter than an axe.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
My billhook weighs loads! haha certainly not lighter than some of my axes and probably just a little lighter than my gb sfa just not as balanced.

the single bevel does make it interesting, draw knife style is fun! and they are certainly better than a big knife! big knvies are more of an american thing..

I'd say the best billhook for general woods duties would be one with a plain double bevel convex ground blade on one side and a single beveled hooked blade on the other side, that way you get the absolute best of both worlds in one neat package!

Biker

Yes indeed, it has taken you long enough to get around to playing with the billhook. I'm pleased to read you had such a good time with it. Nice one Andy.
You're so going to have to take before, during and after photos when you do search for that MZ. I so want to see what it looks like when you dig that old motorbike out of the tree that's grown around it.

I have two billhooks one I fitted with a long handle and it works really well like that, if you choke the handle up near the hilt it sort of counter balances the blade a bit when chopping, and the longer handle allows a nice heafty swing when using it as a machete. I can even use it two-handed with ease.

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Nice link Baggy, thanks. If you want a laugh, go into the hardwear shops and ask about a Billhook and/or a storm lamp. The confussed looks and silly comments from most is funny but also fustrating and sad when you are trying to buy one!!

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I just had a little tinker with a billhook a most respected freind has given me- it's a J Harrison No.2, just rubbed it back a bit and re-oiled it all over. I don't want to strip the history out of it- I'm thinking to learn to use it (in the woodlands rather than hedgelaying) before I consider any other work on it but am having problems finding 'how to's' that aren't specific to hedges, would anyone know of helpful links or have pointers? I read to always cut away but it's double edged ;) and I'd've assumed a curving arc blow would be more effective and safe than a hacking/ axe type blow which could spring back at the head/ body... here it is, ain't it a beaut, can't wait to get on a workparty with it!!
543273_3755897250430_1981173250_n.jpg

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
As with most slashing tools, 'swing through', don't hack into. So the tool should cut right through in one blow (unless hedge laying, of course) and you should direct the blow accordingly.

Sliding cuts (so the wood slides along the edge) are more efficient than 'push cuts'.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Think the general rule is to make sure your on one side of the limb/branch and your cutting something on the opposite side.
Then if the billhook bounces back or deflects, you still have some protection provided the main limb.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Brilliant, thank you both kindly :) I've a woodland path clearing workparty coming up with some experienced bods so will bear your advice in mind and hopefully give no-one a chance to practice their first aid skills ...
:stretcher:
I should think they're a tool that wouldn't forgive over confidence so I'll keep arcs short and controlled until I have a better familiarity with the tool and muscle strength to control an over swing/ bounce back from getting that angle wrong. Any other advice gratefully received!

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
muscle strength to control an over swing/ bounce back from getting that angle wrong. Any other advice gratefully received!
Don't try to over-control it. It's a heavy tool - let the weight and the edge do the work. Tentative swings are more likely to result in it bouncing back or getting jammed.
Don't be afraid of letting it bury itself in the ground, either. Better that than in your foot and billhooks are a hard-working tool.

I've not used a short hook much, but my dad did teach me how to cut privet with a long slasher - a bigger hook on a 2.5' handle. If you are cutting back thin stuff like privet, swing up - the edge will give a pretty clean cut.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE