Billhook

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

All Day Bing

Apr 18, 2009
High Wycombe
Hi, this is my first post and it's nice, an honour in fact to be amongst you...

I'd like to get hold of a really nice billhook for general, not particularly heavy work.

I wonder if you be kind enough to point me at a really well made all-rounder.

Cheers,

Bing

Hi Bing, the newton is the best i have used, light and easy to use all day, sand the varnish off the handle before hard use your skin will thank you (bad blisters) if you are going to be moving onto a lot of heavy hedging in the winter then the Yorkshire hook also on the woodsmith site British Red, gave is excellent. also a decent long handled hedge hook/slasher is invaluable if you have blackberry and blackthorn that needs thinning or pulling out. this one is cheap and after a bit of work on the edge is good and sharp. http://shop.visatools.co.uk/general-purpose-slasher-86-p.asp

some pictures of my ones http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u53/westnorfolk/

welcome to the site.

Dave

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
Hi Bing, the newton is the best i have used, light and easy to use all day, sand the varnish off the handle before hard use your skin will thank you (bad blisters) if you are going to be moving onto a lot of heavy hedging in the winter then the Yorkshire hook also on the woodsmith site British Red, gave is excellent. also a decent long handled hedge hook/slasher is invaluable if you have blackberry and blackthorn that needs thinning or pulling out. this one is cheap and after a bit of work on the edge is good and sharp. http://shop.visatools.co.uk/general-purpose-slasher-86-p.asp

some pictures of my ones http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u53/westnorfolk/

welcome to the site.

Dave

have you ever used a knighton pattern ? - im thinking of getting one for splitting wood bags (the type of bags they sell at fuel garages, so 6-8" wide cross sections. At the moment i use a cheapo axe, but dont really get on with it for the job. wonder if a billhook would do a better go at it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have an original Elwell Knighton - its startlingly good as a kindling knife in the role you describe

3316283072_268da413cb.jpg

3027713733_8148c44240.jpg

Red

I can vouch for the Woodsmith Store, good personal service from Maurice (no personal interests etc) just quick and friendly.

Morris brothers is by far the best modern hook you can buy at the moment and the Newton is a very nice well balanced tool that is a pleasure to use. The handles are not oversized too. Steer well clear of the Bulldog/Compass/Spear and Jackson hooks that are mass produced with no appreciation for their practical application, they arrive blunt, are imbalanced and heavy, the handles are invariably too fat and all in all are a chore to use when sat beside a Morris hook or a good quality old hook. Don't pay over the odds for an old hook either, some are sold as antiques and carry a collectors premium... personally I like to be able to use my tools!

Leo

have you ever used a knighton pattern ? - im thinking of getting one for splitting wood bags (the type of bags they sell at fuel garages, so 6-8" wide cross sections. At the moment i use a cheapo axe, but dont really get on with it for the job. wonder if a billhook would do a better go at it.

hi there, no have never used one, for splitting kindling i use a small hatchet or by the fire i keep and old British Army parang, that splits things nicely and if it needs more then baton with a beetle.

reds does look nice though so once payday comes i may be looking round.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
I have a few billhooks.
My favorite ones are the Morris of Dunsford, Whitehouse(No hook in front) and John Reily.

Last edited:

Woodwatcher

Jul 29, 2009
norfolk
i know its been a while since anyone responded but what did you go for in the end all day bing? Ihave collected a number of hooks over the years my fav being a rutland pattern by hedgehog looks like a meat clever with a convex blade shape but it cuts so sweetly. They also fit in with the living history group i am with medieval archer/woodsman persona.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE