Billhook covers !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Getting ready for some coppicing and green woodworking a bit later in the year and decided to knock up simple, crude wooden covers for the billhooks, stop them rattling around getting damaged (or damaging me! ) in the tool bag.

Thin ply, glued and riveted and a bit of wax, old rucksack straps to hold in place although they don't really need that as they friction fit quite well.

Not sure I need several billhooks really, but you know how it is with tools ! :D

Reactions: Kepis and Billy-o

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
The one at the top is just a standard Martindale machete, quite handy for clearing bracken and brambles.

The one on the right is a froe, for splitting of wood, used with a beetle or large mallet fashioned from a log :)

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants

Martendale machete at the top, couple of lovely old Elwell hooks in different styles, and modern Bulldog cheapy at the bottom. Froe on the right.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Not pretty but they work very well indeed !

I was going to make them from leather but only had enough for one and it seemed a bit extravagant for simple working tools :)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
that's a novel take on a wooden cover, but I certainly like it! I might be tempted to make some like that myself for some of my tools that are littered around the place with cloths wrapped around them :D

I've seen a similar idea done using sheets of plastic cut out of old chain oil bottles and then stapled together with fencing wire. I think the guy who did it must've been bored on a job during bad weather or something!

Reactions: Paulm

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
That's a nice selection of tools you have there. It would be interesting if any one of them becomes the "go to" tool over time.

Dave

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
That's a nice selection of tools you have there. It would be interesting if any one of them becomes the "go to" tool over time.

Dave

I was thinking the same Dave, later this season will be when I get to use them properly for a decent amount of work. I've used the wee bulldog one today as it happens as it was small enough to slip in my day pack for the woods, and of course safe now with the cover on ! Used it to cut down a few hazel rods (too early I know but needs must !) for fixing the dunny roof and found it a bit too light for that, but easy to handle for then skimming the leaves and side shoots off them after. I'll do a bit more work on thinning the shoulders on it and see if that helps, but suspect this one may not turn out to be the go to one which will probably be one of the Elwells, but which one I don't know yet ! :)

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
Good, functional stuff there.

I was thinking about recycling some HDPE for this purpose. I've made a knife sheath out of it with reasonable results and think it would do a good job on a billhook.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE