Billhook carry - safety.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Hi All,

I've just relented and ordered a billhook from Jack at Woodland Organics (who else would you order one from!)

I'm now wondering about the best/safest way to carry a hook, be it in my pack or otherwise. Some sort of sheath? Something like a tool roll? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Dave

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I think you could make a sheath quite eaisly. Thick leather or even some kind of wooden slot type sheath like you get with some parangs.

Jack does sell a woodland tool kit and I think you could get the roll on it's own from him to fit your Granny B and knife as well. Or ask for the dimensions and make one as above( :wink: have a look at the credit card thread).

Bill

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Ah good question.

Only just got round to sticking a handle on my car boot hook.

It's already bitten me. I need to sort something out. I've got the edge on the back of the blade too which confuses things a bit.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
As soon as I can urm borrow some more kydex from ESpy I'm going to have a go at making a sheath for one, if you get there first with the leather let us know, its been bugging me for a while. Personally I think its all Jacks fault.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Without a doubt Jack's fault! I didn't even know I wanted a billhook until he told me!

Seriously, this will be my third billhook, but the first with anything resembling a cutting edge! I've got an idea forming for a leather & wood arrangement, but I'm in the middle of finishing a knife & sheath at the moment. Will keep you posted.

Dave

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Hadn't thought of Kydex but good idea. I've never used it but it looks very versatile and tough.

Would an open-sided sheath be a good plan, again like some parangs have.

Bill

G

Ginja

Hello folks. Don't own a billhook myself, but I do have a parang, and would HIGHLY recommend using a wooden slot-style sheath. So far, I've yet to come across a leather parang sheath that has lasted the distance, and I assume it's the same with billhooks. Fairly easy to make your own as well, which is a bonus (not to mention a saving!).

Best and only way to stop the little bleeders from biting, in my opinion ...

G :wink:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
you could try something along the lines of the case on this tools website if you follow Homepage > Fine Tools > Saws > Saw Cases > Deluxe Leather Case for Ryoba Saws

i know its not the same shape as a bill hook but the idea could be adapted im sure

Edit: the censorship on this forum obviously didnt take in to account the german language the web address is www.d*i*c*k-gmbh.de remove the *'s for your purposes!

G

Ginja

Hi tenbears10 ... sorry mate, I don't have a picture to hand. I'll get a pic of it for you next time I'm near a digital camera (don't own a digi-snapper myself!).

Basically - the parang I have is a genuine Malayan job (a mate brought it back for me after doing some voluntary conservation work out there). It's a little bruised and battered, but it does the job just fine (and sharpens like a razor!).

The sheath itself comprises 2 separate pieces of wood which 'join' together along the edge of the blade / back of the blade (ie. the sheath is split in two lengthways, along the spine). The join is basically held in place with twine wrapped around the sheath, rather than glue or resin. Not sure 'what' wood exactly, but could probably find out easy enough - it's a fairly soft wood, if that helps at all.

The advantange of a wooden sheath as I see it is that it's solid - all sounds very obvious and overly simplistic I know - but I feel MUCH more comfortable (and confident) handling a parang sheathed in this way, rather than using a leather sheath. There's also far less danger of the blade accidentally cutting through the side of the sheath when drawn - something ol' Lofty Wiseman is keen to point out, but it's very true - I've seen it happen with a machete! Though thankfully no fingers were lost in the process ...

Sorry this isn't the most useful description! I'll endeavour to get a pic as soon as poss.

Good luck,

G :)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
My dad has a machete with a leather sheath, although you would probably think it's wood because it's so hard. It's doing fine and it's been around as long as I can remember.

Wooden sheath? How about something like this:

bushknife11-1.jpg

bushknife11-2.jpg

It's by the great Tai Goo. Did you notice the nice touch of carving a space for the handle? I think it's gorgeous, although I would be curious about the weight.

Lemoneyewash

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2004
UK
I got a 'Staffie' from Bill.
I use the plastic sleeve/clip, about 12" long and cut down from a folder which (and I can't think of a decent way to explain it but is used to basically grip the pages together) acts very much like the rubber car door edging you can get from Halfords etc. Being a stiff plastic it doesn't cut through like rubber and with both edges held together with a loop of wide Velcro, it works for me.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I just use a big old 3" strip of felt (made of re-cycled cloth) thick heavy duty a bit like removal firms use to cover quality furniture. Wrap it round and round the 'ook, (bit like leather squash racket handle or first world war soldiers puttees), then tie off with thin bit of carton strap.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE