Bill Mason's knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ah - the best canoeing film EVER!
I am not sure of the knife in the film but in "Song of the Paddle" the knife photoed on P54 looks like a standard stacked leather handle bowie (as made by many manufacturers) in a home made, aluminium lined, sheath. He also recommends a SAK.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
got a time in the movie? I see one at 18:54. IIRC from reading his books etc, he wasn't terribly bothered about branded knives, fancy knots and stuff, he just picked what worked for him. I'll have look tonight too.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
got a time in the movie? I see one at 18:54. IIRC from reading his books etc, he wasn't terribly bothered about branded knives, fancy knots and stuff, he just picked what worked for him. I'll have look tonight too.

I just looked at that one too. Just a short skinning knife with a wooden handle. Could be made by almost any manufacturer, as they're quite common.

oneshot

Mar 10, 2012
Canada
It is probably a Marbles Expert, or something similar. It looks like the guard may have been reduced in Waterwalker. A biography of Bill's mentions that he carried a "Calvin Rutstrum Belt Knife". Calvin Rutstrum recommended the Marbles Expert knife in his classic book "Way of the Wilderness" in the 40's/50's. This book was well studied by Bill.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE