Bill Hooks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
I've been looking at a New Bill Hook I found on a site its a double sided blade with a straight axe type blade on the back of the normal hooked edge. Has any one tried using one instead of an axe/machette as a camp chopper? Any thoughts?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
They're a particular type of hook designed for a special purpose.
As there's a edge on both sides it's more dangerous than a single sided one, especially if it's as sharp as it should be !

I use my Newton a lot and it's fine for camp fire duties.

Cheers

Mark

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Thanks for that I just thought for £12 worth giving it a go I like the idea of a shorter blade than a machette and that it will fit in my pack out of sight.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Sounds like a Staffordshire pattern hook (or a Yorkshire if it has a 2 handed handle). Bill hooks are brilliant tools for most woodland tasks and absolutly perfct for stuff like hedging. If you are worried about the double edge look for somthing like a newtown, southern counties, or west country.
The billhook evolved to cope with UK woodland and countryside conditions just as the machette evolved for coping with jungle conditions.
David

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Nemisis said:
Thanks for that I just thought for £12 worth giving it a go I like the idea of a shorter blade than a machette and that it will fit in my pack out of sight.
And it's viewed by Joe public much more as a tool rather than a weapon - like a machette is.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
£12 may sound tempting but for just over twice that you can buy a Morris of Dunsford Staffie from eg http://www.fxferry.demon.co.uk/. These really are top notch hooks favoured by most of the professional hedge layers I know (and Jack and me on here!) Only need a light hone before you use it first time unlike somthing like a Bulldog which will take many hours of work to take back the shoulders of the grind and put a halfway decent edge on. As with anything you get what you pay for. The other alternative is look for an old one on ebay, my first staffie (which is still giving me good service and will be giving someone good service long after I'm gone) is a late 19th centuary cast steel job and will still deal with any task I throw at it. Bick any of the top old makers and you won't go far wrong.
Cheers
David

Oct 12, 2005
north oxon
Go easy mate with a double edged tools, I've used a Yorkshire bilhook for years but I always wear a rimmed hat to prevent chopping my ears off, you either love or want them banned[ one farmer I worked for took an eye out with one. Double edges can be usefull in having a good and rough edge, most are not sharp as supplied and can take over 4 hrs to get a good edge. Don't swing a bilhook straight down as they are heavier than matchete and you can strike your knee, only wrist flick down to clear thorns etc when hedgelaying, then use diagionally or stand to one side so the blade can swing clear of your legs. Select with care for weight and type, old drop forged models are the best.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
David

"pick any of the top old makers and you won't go far wrong"

Which makers would you recommend?

Thanks

Bob :)

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Thanks datalbot i've decided to go for the morris one just waiting on a reply from the supplier one question do they come with a sheath/pouch or will I have to make one?

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
AFAIK you'll have to make one. There was a very nice tutorial over on British Blades I think.

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
I used to have an old Hedgehog southern counties style billhook, but a friend borrowed it while we where working in the woods and made the fatal mistake of putting it down on the ground to use the bowsaw and it disappeared into the leaves never to be seen again. :aargh4: :banghead:

H

Hi Lander

I have got one and it is more for forestry work than for camp.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
contacted woodland craft supplies he doesn't know if his doubled bladed billhook is a staffy but i'm assuming it is as he advertises a yorkshire separately does anyone have pics of the morris Double bladed bill hook?

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
scanker said:
http://www.billhooks.co.uk/

I came across this site, and thought it might be of interest to someone.

What a great find !
Some interesting stuff there.

I use my billhook far more than I do my hatchet. With practice it'll get down to fiddly little jobs too, plus I never ever worry about battoning it. Nice deep belly for leverage too ...

I use a Devon pattern hook (or 'Westcountry') - I found I didn't like the double edged pattern of the eastern counties hooks - I never found I needed the back edge.

(Shame the site author didn't scan the pictures at a higher res, although if they were done when he made the site all those years ago that's probably all the hardware would support !).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE