Bilhooks - anyone use them?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Here, you would reach for a power saw. Most everybody has a 16" and/or a 20" bar. I have a 16 gasser and a 16 electric.
It took a 36" to cut that log that I'm leaning on in my avatar.
If I've seen any design of a bill hook hanging on a shed wall, I didn't recognize it for what it is.

Old and uncommon tools?
Spoke Shave: For making wheel spokes and utensil handles. I use two of them.
Draw knife: I have a 12" Stubai for peeling logs and rounding split posts. Not a finishing tool.
Froe: the original shake splitter. I had a smith make one for me.
I split western red cedar blocks maybe once a month for carving projects.
Elbow & D adzes: Ancient designs but as modern as yesterday for roughing all the way to textured surfaces.
= = =
I've been asked where such tools come from, mine are all very modern.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I have a Italian billhook made by rinaldi. It’s longer than most uk bill hooks and has a more pronounced hook. Will go through wrist thick timber with one good sweep.

I also have a bulldog one that arrived in a terrible state. Took a lot of filing and grinding to get any sort of edge on it. I then coated the blade in paint stripper to get it back down to metal. I’m quite happy with it now.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Are there any other old tools used in the distant past (in the UK) that's on danger of being forgotten but are actually very useful?
Not really the “distant” past, nor confined to the UK, but the most useful tool I regret watching decline is an old fashioned book. Or a newspaper.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not really the “distant” past, nor confined to the UK, but the most useful tool I regret watching decline is an old fashioned book. Or a newspaper.
Oh I got one of those recently, from a "library". They give free books out! How quaint.

PS are you supposed to take them back? I keep getting snotty letters through the post demanding money and the book back.;)

Seriously, we use the library round the corner from us a lot. Use it or lose it! Personally I can't concentrate enough for books. Not enough going on with them. It's a trait of mine that I'm probably too long in the tooth to get sorted.

Personally I like the paper book and the ebook on a kindle (not the tablet kindle the e-ink one). Both work for me as a media form just don't have the patience.

Although I don't see how books are tools? Tools are things you use to convert materials. A pen coverts a blank page into a manuscript, a printing press converts paper into a book or magazine or newspaper. The newspaper or book is the end result. Unless you get very esoteric and claim the book converts the reader's understanding.

Reactions: santaman2000

simplefool

Jul 29, 2013
UK
I bought a billhook to clear the thoroughly overgrown garden when we moved into our new house. Made clearing the briars and hazel an enjoyable task in the end. That fact plus a couple of near misses with my shins sobered me up and made me respect it for the capable tool that it is.

I also used it to clear an apparently forgotten path in our local wood.

Not seen much use since though. Would be happy for an excuse to use it again.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Would it take a Yorkshire or is that dependent on your height?

Anyone own a scythe? I've used a sickle for cutting long grass before now but I've always wondered how much easier a scythe would be.

How many traditional tools like these have become uncommon for people to own?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE