biking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I have sen a few post mentioning bikes and just wonderd how many of you ride them seems a lot of peoel here do martail arts of some form and lots a TerryP fans so how much else is common on here

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i got a bicycle and use it, but not for bushcraft uses, i got a road bike which will gets stuck in mud. I broke mine ATB bike not to long ago, which i did mudded up.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
hang on are we talking proper bikes here or bicycles??? If we're talking proper bikes then yup love, had bikes for about 7 years now although at the moment I'm reduced to a 250 Trailie...

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I got a bicycle I use for fun. I'd like to commute with it but I'm not crazy enough to tackle the A14 :-?

We were having a family ride roung Grafham water the weekend after I did my Intro to Bushcraft with Woodlore, I think my wife was more than a bit perplexed with my sudden desire to dive off into the trees to collect vast quantities of silver birch bark a cramp balls! Oh well, she knew what I was like when she married me!

Dave

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
mountain bikes are proper bikes ask mr lampkin or the bloke next door one neil hodgson (spelling) they have santa cruz. i cant afford the insurence on a motor bike at my age in education but i will in time. my dad does to get to work (sheffield tyo leeds) and my brother has a SV 650 which he's just fixed after a bump

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
I ride a Santa Cruz Heckler MTB for a bit of exercise. Mainly in Delamere Forest (Cheshire) but I've done some of the routes in the Coed y Brenin area of North Wales - great fun.

"Proper" bikes too - had an Aprilia Falco until 18 months ago when a freak accident left me chewing motorway at 70mph. Not something I fancy repeating but it taught me the value of carbon fibre body armour. :-D

Cheers.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
"Proper" bikes too - had an Aprilia Falco until 18 months ago when a freak accident left me chewing motorway at 70mph. Not something I fancy repeating but it taught me the value of carbon fibre body armour.

Thats why I get so annoyed when I see people riding bikes of the motorised versions in only shorts and T-Shirts. I dislike even riding in Jeans.

I've got a bicycle as well (Carrera, nothing worth writing home about) and really need to get out on it more, trying to give up smoking at the moment... could definatley do with the exercise. Went out on it just after christmas and hit a damp wooden bridge, still got the lump on my leg from the bruising :-(

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Lithril said:
Thats why I get so annoyed when I see people riding bikes of the motorised versions in only shorts and T-Shirts. I dislike even riding in Jeans.

I won't even ride my (proper :lol: ) bicycle wearing only shorts - I've been knocked off by careless motorists enough times to make sure of that!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
boaty said:
I won't even ride my (proper :lol: ) bicycle wearing only shorts - I've been knocked off by careless motorists enough times to make sure of that!

Thought you said you didn't have a licence :-D

I'd like to live close enough to work to cycle but 25 miles each way is a bit excessive... mind you where I work everyone seems to be related in the factory and town... keep hearing the duelling banjos.... :-?

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Proper bikes don't have suspension and all that stuff.
I have a couple of Mountain Bikes and a couple of Road racing Bikes,
and a Cyclo Trials Bicycle.
But my favourite is my old Dutch Bicycle 3 Speed with Coaster Brake.
Best Bicycle I have for running round on as it even has a Dynamo and a rack on it, plus I was given it as it was abandoned in a shed after the back tyre went down, it was buried under a pile of Ex army Tents I went to collect, so I asked about it and was told to take it away, the ex owner now wishes he still had it.
I think I better add the fact that I do have a Bicycle Shop.
Hence the reason I have ended up with a Collection.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Totally agree with about suspension systems on bicycles (although the only ones I've ridden are cheaper models), felt like I was on a rollercoaster, suppose it would add to the adrenaline rush going down a hill - never knowing where the next bump is going to send you. :shock:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
my brother has a down hill rig with 8 inches front and back. its fun if you have gravity to help you. i ride a hardtail with front sus. wil have disc by the end of the week. i use kavlar amour for mountain biking as well as when im pillion

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I ride everyweek. Bodged up a 12v halogen spotlight and UPS computer back up battery and away we go...Every ride seems to include a pub stop and a few bevvies :uu: Been damn cold lately tho. My mountain bike is an old cannondale with front suspension which is fantastic, and has definetly saved me hundreds of tumbles. IMO full suspension is a waste of time unless your doing serious downhill. Generally its just pose value.
I have done alot of commuting in my time, its pretty grim in the dark during winter time, so i do wear fluo cags n that. My commuter bike is an old post office bike rescued from the back of a shed. Restored, pinsriped and fitted with 7 speed shimano hub gears and hub brakes, and grip shift. Just couldn't get on with the rod brakes! Oh and i put a big old wicker basket on the front so it looks like a bakers bike. Great fun to pride.
Cheers Rich

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Lithril said:
I've got a bicycle as well ... Went out on it just after christmas and hit a damp wooden bridge, still got the lump on my leg from the bruising :-(

:-D According to one of the MTB magazines "the chicks like scars" ... but if you're married and over 40 like me somehow I don't thinks so ! :-D

On the full sus mountain bike thing, it's interesting. The Heckler I ride is a reasonably high spec machine - far better than my skills warrant - and front & back air shocks really work. I like the taught and solid feel of a decent hardtail but a rear shock can really cut down the battering you take on harder trails.

Cheers.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yeh i go for a brooks sprung saddle instead and stick with my hardtail.
I have heard that there is alot of power loss with full suss, bobing up and down on the springs rather than transfering it to motion. Even down hill i still beat em on my hardtail. :cool:
Rich

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
i ride a cannondale scapel. after the last cannondale i had got stolen. it costs me more to insure than the landy and cost more to buy.

the downside of a stupidly expensive mountain bike is that you cannot leave it anywhere. it takes me longer to lock it than ride to work.

The wife is not too keen on its place next to the TV either but its more interesting to look at than eastenders.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Andy said:
the power transefer is getting a lot better now with these propedal shocks. has anyone heard about the whtye bike with 6inches of travel for a trail bike
Yeah - designed by I think it was Stuart Whyte - he worked for a formula 1 race team as his day job. I've seen them but not ridden one. There's a second generation model out now. Reputed to be the smoothest ride on the block but not meant as an extreme down hiller. The forks move back as well as up when they hit a bump. Not cheap, but far from the dearest kit out there. Stocked by the Leisure Lakes chain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE