Biking to the shops a lot more

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
So, with the shut down of most things were hardly using the car, once in the last 2 weeks. We have been getting out on the bikes a lot more, we've a couple of decent eBikes so shopping etc is done on those most of the time and I'm loving it. There's just enough slowing of pace to allow for longer time spent on traveling, it's very hilly around here in Wales so the eBikes are lovely, it's still hard work lot of the time but it means that we're mobile, getting fitter, polluting less, buying less and seeing the world around us making a mad dash out of winter into bloom.

Anyone else using their bike more?

Reactions: jasonb and Herman30

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Only for the odd daily exercise with the boy along a canal. Of course I'm only a 5 minute walk to the supermarket so I'm getting fit carrying bags of shopping home every other day. That's only at quiet times in the evening.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Must admit there's more BSOs around these days. Argos specials with full, bouncy suspension!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'd like to but I'm one of those 'vulnerable' people who are supposed to shelter until middle of June at the earliest, if not longer if what they're saying about the easing of lockdown restrictions is correct :dunno:

I still go out for a walk with the dogs once a day but other than that I'm stuck at home for now. :(

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I get out most days for an hour on my (non-electric) bike, most often just for a couple of circuits of the lanes (with a couple of pretty steep hills!) or up to our local (two mile away) shop. The days I do not cycle I go for an hours walk, visiting my local woods for a spot of bird watching on the way.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I had planned on using the bike more especially in this lovely weather but every time I need to go out the missus decides to come with me and I don't take pillion so we go in the car (Oh, hang on, you mean peddle bike don't you :) ).

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Dusted my pushbike off after a decent period of not really having the time for it.
Went out and did a 41 minute ride on it but as I'd not ridden it for ages it took me 52 minutes...

Couple of days later the same 11.46 mile ride took 48 mins but realistically its still absolutely dog slow..
Looks like I have plenty time to work on it though.

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yep, loads of cyclists getting in my way on my drive home from work yesterday. :D

ha ha

I have to say that I do like the quiet roads, where we live is quite rural they're really quiet, although that does mean that often the cars/vans/lorries/tractors that do come are going way faster than usual so you have less time to action, I'm definitely being cautious on the blind bends these days... Over all though the cycling experience the last month has been lovely, I can ride in the middle of the day and it's like riding at 5:30 in the morning usually...

It's sad to see that there's a larger percentage of people that are getting less exercise than before, there's definitely been an uptake in exercise but it's out fo balance. Also, I've tried to buy a 12m battle road and a 12kg slam ball and both are seeming elusive at any normal price.

If anyone's got any good pics from their cycling get them up in here!

Mar 6, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
I have a photo with the closed bluebell wood and my hard working bike in the background.
pjfRBoHLLXHVj1KeDoElXrlHcDFGm7y4wWdTkkGXRvs-2048x1152.jpg

Reactions: moocher

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
ha ha

I have to say that I do like the quiet roads, where we live is quite rural they're really quiet, although that does mean that often the cars/vans/lorries/tractors that do come are going way faster than usual so you have less time to action, I'm definitely being cautious on the blind bends these days... Over all though the cycling experience the last month has been lovely, I can ride in the middle of the day and it's like riding at 5:30 in the morning usually...

It's sad to see that there's a larger percentage of people that are getting less exercise than before, there's definitely been an uptake in exercise but it's out fo balance. Also, I've tried to buy a 12m battle road and a 12kg slam ball and both are seeming elusive at any normal price.

If anyone's got any good pics from their cycling get them up in here!

To be fair none were a problem except one walking up a bendy hill while I was going down and another car was coming up at the same time. It's actually nice to see the number of folk out that aren't 'pro' cyclists.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
How many bikes will get mothballed after lockdown ends? Possibly the same number that got put away once the 2012 Olympic cycling hype died down??

I find it positive more cyclists are about and I'm truly hoping it's the start of more people keeping the cycling as a part of their daily lives. I suspect when you can get out when you want most don't but now you can't they're taking every opportunity to do so. There must be a Murphy's law type of thing for that.

Walked to the supermarket again. Part of me wants it to be more cycling distance. I can get there quicker than I can get my bike out of the shed, almost! I am doing more walking though. Anyone know if having a dog that needs exercise for well-being means you are allowed an extra trip out?? I don't meet people much so distancing is easy. One exercise trip per day is never enough!!!!

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
I cycle a lot anyway, it's my main mode of transport. Cycling even more for fun now as kayaking and hill walking are on hold. The car has only logged 36 miles since 24th March!

Have taken to cycling on the road for my daily commute as the usually empty cycle path I use is these days jam packed with walkers and slower riders. Where have all these folk come from? Why don't they normally leave their houses/cars/etc ? :) :D

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
How many bikes will get mothballed after lockdown ends? Possibly the same number that got put away once the 2012 Olympic cycling hype died down??

I find it positive more cyclists are about and I'm truly hoping it's the start of more people keeping the cycling as a part of their daily lives. I suspect when you can get out when you want most don't but now you can't they're taking every opportunity to do so. There must be a Murphy's law type of thing for that.

Walked to the supermarket again. Part of me wants it to be more cycling distance. I can get there quicker than I can get my bike out of the shed, almost! I am doing more walking though. Anyone know if having a dog that needs exercise for well-being means you are allowed an extra trip out?? I don't meet people much so distancing is easy. One exercise trip per day is never enough!!!!

From my take on it it's seemed like every spring through to Autumn Ive been working about an hour and half drive away from home. Doing that plus a physical job and I just don't have the energy to go out on my bike.
If I'm working closer I can. Its that simple.
The officewallas who do nowt but sit around all day have energy to spare and go out on their bikes more.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Got out this morning with a couple of the family, up the hills, played with the lambs in my mates field, it was lovely, then carry on up the hills and then a near enough 3 mile decent to feel that wind in my face, good start to the day, well, it was after PE with Joe and my kids but you know what I mean!!

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
Been out few times, prefer walking though as easier to get off the beaten track.

Attachments

• IMG_20200412_120622.jpg
    IMG_20200412_120622.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200407_141241.jpg
    IMG_20200407_141241.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 7

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Just back from today's ride and attempt at birdwatching (the woodpeckers never showed up!) as well as a wander around my permission - lots of badger sign, but none of it fresh, some mouse sign and lots of bumble bees. The Bluebells are coming in nicely, the Ramsons are doing famously and the Alexanders are a sweet smelling forest in their own right!
P4230001.JPGP4230003.JPGP4230004.JPGP4230005.JPGThe Woodpeckers used the big hole last year, the small one is just one of two holes made by them this year on this face of the tree - and there are about eight holes in the tree all told, showing many years of this tree seeing woodies attention :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE