Bike luggage

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well I know that some of you ride motorbikes on here,so a kind of bushy/bike question.
I am after some luggage for my Honda hornet for a trip to Skye in a month and was wondering if you have any suggestion?
I have a tech 7 soft panniers but have a high exhaust on the one side...should they fit?
I want the luggage to fit any bike as I want to go back to trailie type bike later in the summer so I can do some bushie off road trips.
What about a top box (soft) and a small rucksack?
Ta Dave

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Hey Dave

You'll be looking for "Sports" Luggage. The hornet has a notoriously high end can and despite having a heat shield can melt some panniers (I have a mate that did just that).

Look at these

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catRef=539945

And the other thing I would tend to do is get some heat retardent cloth and glue it to the back of the right hand pannier.

M & P also do tailpacks like these

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catRef=539998

But it's probably worth giving them a bell to see what models they fit

Hope this helps

Dave

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Hey up Dave ta for that. I was hoping that I could mod maybe (easily) the tech 7 I have or maybe get just a tailpack!!!! Thought about some sort of heat tape on the bags....any suggestions ? Exhaust wrap?I'm a tight git!
I think any tailpack will fit mine won't it?
All the best Dave

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
I'm not familiar with your bike but have seen the Tech 7 luggage which seem like fairly standard throwovers. You could buy the sports version, but they do hold less and can still slip onto the exhaust, which spells disaster. Some friends have fitted something which holds the pannier away from the bike exhaust, but that depends on the bike design and your skills as a fabricator. If the panniers nearly clear the exhaust then you can pack some stuff under the part that goes over the seat to give added height - folding sleeping mats work quite well. I would not rely solely on heat resistant cloth in any circumstance.

Are you taking a passenger ? If not then you will have room for a pillion pack that fits on the rear seat and strap on the sleeping bag as well - in a drysac. Of course you should also have a tank bag.

Whatever goes in any of these luggage options - throwovers, tank bag, pillion pack - put stuff in plastic bags as well as they will otherwise get wet.

Most older machines had the advantage of relatively low slung exhausts leaving plenty of room for throwovers.

Good luck. A fair bit of my Bushcraft style trips are done on bikes.

Richard

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Can't say I have toured on my GSXR but for day to day use I have a Oxford Sport magnetic tankbag thats very good.

You can't quite crouch down as far as is sometimes nice but its OK upto about 120, more than that and because you are not down far enough and you get blown about a bit.

Kriega rucksacks are supposed to be very good also but I have never used one, I have one of the 5 or is it 10 litre tailpack things that I got free with my Almax chain (no affiliation apart from being a satisfied customer) and thats good quality,

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ta, no to pillion so got the rear of my seat. Put stuff in bags???? Na its always sunny when I go on my bike! Think I will go with a tailpack and tankbag + small ruckie. Think that I cant get round the exhaust problem without a, buying a new pannier or b, heavy modding which may or not get me melted bags!
Kreiega are awesome. My mates got one, absolutely bomb proof but at £90 and another bag for the missus to moan about.......maybe not at the mo.
I'll get it sorted. ta Dave

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Hey up Dave ta for that. I was hoping that I could mod maybe (easily) the tech 7 I have or maybe get just a tailpack!!!! Thought about some sort of heat tape on the bags....any suggestions ? Exhaust wrap?I'm a tight git!
I think any tailpack will fit mine won't it?
All the best Dave

They are quite generic so it's a fair bet. What about fire blanket material?? That might work or that stuff plumbers put behind pipes when they're soldering joints? Dunno what it's called though, sort of felty looking thin matting

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE