Big Moth Id

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
When going out this afternoon i found this moth on my door matt, (nearly stepped on it)
its one of the biggest moths ive seen, wingspan must be 2 to 2.5 inches i assume its here drying out its wings as its not doing much, but is definately alive. Any ideas.

moth003.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It looks a bit like a Prominent but I've no idea which one, there's just too many to learn :eek:

What's going on with the photo Andy, I've got my laptop upsidedown here trying work it out.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Rich, how do you mean whats going on in the pic, the only thing i can think is that, the gap between moth/matt and rough cast wall looks like it drops away in to a void, that is because i moved both to a high up out of the way place to avoid Mr Moth getting squashed by my kids when they came home from school.If its something else let me know.cheers guys will do a search for info, i used to have a good book on moths but lost it years ago.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Rich, how do you mean whats going on in the pic, the only thing i can think is that, the gap between moth/matt and rough cast wall looks like it drops away in to a void, that is because i moved both to a high up out of the way place to avoid Mr Moth getting squashed by my kids when they came home from school.If its something else let me know.cheers guys will do a search for info, i used to have a good book on moths but lost it years ago.

:rolleyes:

Ahh gotcha, I thought the mat was still on the floor and I couldn't work out what the stone surface was.

I'll get me coat

:sulkoff:

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Poplar hawk moth.

I picked one up last year that was on the pavement and it flew out of my hand and under a lorry

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
you've all got me hooked on this ID lark, been scouting through me books for this one and happy to find like some others that it's a Hawk moth, just gotta turn this into lottery number IDing.

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
Picked one up about 1980 and took it in to photograph and it laid 8-10 eggs
Kept the eggs in an icecream container and they hatched into catapillars
found they eat poplar so collected some leaves and threw them in
They made short work of them and for the next few weeks had to get more and more as they grew to about 30-35mm long and about 8-10mm dia
They started to bury themselves in the dirt I had in the base of the container
Cant remember how long they were dormant but was woken up in the night with one of them flapping about as it had changed back into a moth
Put the rest of them into the garden and hoped they all hatched
Mick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE