Big Fox

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
Shot one the same size if not a little bigger back in the late 70's.Skinned it and there was'nt a pellet in him,can only think it had a heart attack.

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
Red foxes in the Scottish Highlands do tend to be significantly bigger, with thicker coats and bushier tails than elsewhere in Britain. No one seems to know why. Still a very big fox though, but definitely not an urban fox as the expert from the GWCT seems to think.

.XII.

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2010
Dartmoor
recent article in Sporting Shooter magazine reported a similar sized specimen, and gave one possible reason for increasing size being the decline in professional estate wardens / games-keepers (who were only ever really interested in confirming the kill) and the corresponding rise in pest-control being done by sporting shooters (who are more likely to record & share the size etc) - seems pretty plausible to me, as i know most of my local farmers would just sling it in a hedge and the only people who would hear of the 'monster fox' would be the usual crowd at the local pub...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
recent article in Sporting Shooter magazine reported a similar sized specimen, and gave one possible reason for increasing size being the decline in professional estate wardens / games-keepers (who were only ever really interested in confirming the kill) and the corresponding rise in pest-control being done by sporting shooters (who are more likely to record & share the size etc) - seems pretty plausible to me, as i know most of my local farmers would just sling it in a hedge...

Seems ironic. The following is copied from a CTV news article:
"The Northwest Territories government is hoping record prices for fox fur pelts will encourage northern trappers to target the critters and keep a check on the burgeoning population.The price doubled at a recent auction in North Bay, Ont., with cross fox pelts going for $100, more than triple the average price. White fox pelts went for $200 — up from $40 in previous years....'We really hope the prices will get people targeting foxes,' Rossouw said. 'Every community in the North has their own resident fox it seems. Instead of having problem wildlife, we would prefer to have them harvest the foxes humanely and pelt them up properly and put them into the market'...”

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
He added: "I'm 5ft 7in, and it was 4ft 9in. When I held it up, it was almost the same size as me."........I'm 6 ft. tall & my wife is 5ft 3ins.....when I hold her up she's almost the same size as me.:rofl:

Yep that's one big fox, male or female ?.:(

I don't think foxes are getting bigger as such but there are large individuals in all species & we only get to hear about them when they've been killed & make the news. ..........this dude could have probably seen off a fox terrier or 2...:cool:

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
Red foxes in the Scottish Highlands do tend to be significantly bigger, with thicker coats and bushier tails than elsewhere in Britain. No one seems to know why. Still a very big fox though, but definitely not an urban fox as the expert from the GWCT seems to think.

Maybe it's the same reason that animals in the northern forests are so large and have such thick fur coats? Perhaps the foxes have these characteristics to adapt them to the fierce cold in the scottish highlands -their larger size means a lower surface area to body mass ratio, so their body temperature does not drop as rapidly as smaller foxes' body temperature would, when exposed to the same cold weather..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE