Big chopper..........

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Does it have any bushcraft uses? Probably not but when I spotted this at a market for a £1 I couldnt resist, another nicely forged bit of steel from Elwell, made for the army during WWII. Its certainly too heavy for me to swing safely and I wouldnt want to carry it at 1.6KG, it has an edge all the way round except for the spine and looks like it came that way.

I cant imgine ever using it but I'll still refurbish it ;)

Anyone have any idea what it might have been used for? A very big chef maybe ;)

Thats a normal size Billhook not a mini version!

chop.jpg

chop2.jpg

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
probably for hacking up cattle... I say cattle because you could probably go through three or four at a time :wink:

Maybe it could also double up as a shelter of some type?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I think that blade looks really big and heavy. Too heavy for bushcraft. :roll:
How thick is it?

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
Andy said:
looks like something I saw at the royal armouries which was used for Slaughtering goats, cattle and other large animals

That certainly sounds plausible. I thought it much too big to be a cleaver but I was thinking kitchen scale rather than slaughterhouse!

The thickness is 7.5mm at the thickest point Viking, tapering all the way to the front.

Jason

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE