Bidayuh blades in Semban, Sarawak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
Hi everyone,

A month ago, I visited this village in Sarawak called Semban. It is very near to Kuching. A 5 and half hour trek up to the Bidayuh highlands. There are several villages along the trail and most of the lower villages will be submerged in water once a dam (in construction) is completed.

One of the most amazing thing I discovered about the Bidayuh in Semban is their parang. The parang shape is unique and the sheath has only one side covered! I inquired and found out that the sheath is made that way to prevent dirt and debris from clogging up the sheath. Here are some pics:

one-side-parang-sheath.jpg

bidayuh-parangs.jpg

But that's not all. I compiled a video on the blades I seen used in Semban (as below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siKl1RGJ5Yg

Comments?

Dec 2, 2009
Naples - Italy
I'm following you on YouTue, your videos are really interesting and shows in what different way the edged tools are used in so far away places. Thanks for sharing it !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE