Bialaddin Bowlfire fettle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have a couple of these superb Paraffin heaters and as they need a bit of TLC thought I would start to restore them. I started with the most beat up tank although the bowl is in pretty good condition.

On preparing the tank for painting I found it had two stress cracks near the bottom rim that were seeping Paraffin through. With my soldering skills not up to much I decided to remove some metal along the cracks and fill with JB Weld then sand flush. This fix seems to have worked and the tank pressures up fully with no air bubbles seeping out when I do a dunk test. Whether it will last I don't know but if it fails and starts to leak I will use some POR-15 tank sealer on the inside.

I tried to leave the original cream paint where possible as getting a good key on the brass can be tricky. I filled any dents and marks with auto body filler and sanded down. I applied 2 coats of zinc primer then 4 coats of white primer then 3 coats of top coat which happens to be a Rover colour-Arum White. I have been reliably told this is the closest off the shelf colour match to the original. Tomorrow I will lacquer it if it has dried.

This is the bowlfire as I bought it...

081.jpg

083.jpg

This is the tank with the final colour coat applied and the wire guard sanded and sprayed with heat resistant chrome paint...

085.jpg

087.jpg

And here are all the parts cleaned and polished ready to install long with a new set of washers. Also I removed the Asbestos wick and replaced with some carbon felt tied on with fibreglass string which works very well...

091.jpg

I will update this when it is all back together but want the paint to cure well so it maybe later in the week?

Steve.

Last edited:

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
If you do put it in the oven purity it on its lowest setting, maybe leave the door open a little;)

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
I would be tempted to do a pressure test with that JBWeld. As the tank will be pressurised and contain a fuel and a heat source just above it. I am not 100% certain that jbweld will hold. You could pressureised the tank well and then put it in water and see if there are any bubbles.
Alan

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Yes it has held full pressure so far but I will keep an eye on it. Thankfully the two cracks were in one area only, probably where it received a knock as it was slightly dented in that area. The POR-15 is quite expensive and I hear the stuff that gets unused goes off quite quickly? I hope to buy some more of these heaters when funds allow so I may wait and see how those tanks are before buying? You never know, the JB Weld may hold?

Steve.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Well I had another tiny leak underneath the fount that I found after pressurizing it up. The first fix on the outside of the fount has held fine. But I managed to fix the new leak with some 2-part tank sealer that I smeared underneath. I'm really resisting the POR-15 method unless absolutely needed!

After that problem was resolved I have assembled the heater and it works like a dream. I have ordered a home chrome and copper plating kit with which I will attempt to plate the guard and another bowl I have that is very pitted and loosing its chrome. Also I want to chrome plate the handle-bowl bracket. I'm hoping the kit arrives this side of Chrimbo?

Well these are the finished pics apart from the bits I want to chrome...

001-28_zps4fe4b4a0.jpg

008-10_zpseeca6a42.jpg

006-12_zps5e6485de.jpg

007-8_zpscc84702e.jpg

003-20_zps0f42319c.jpg

004-12_zpsb5b7f3e0.jpg

009-7_zpsb7ae55c3.jpg

Will update if I have success with the chroming and I may re-finish the wooden handle!

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE