Beware Wanted Scammers on Forum

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
“Ethical” and “big companies” all in one sentence!
There’ll be just one big ethical company soon, and we’ll all be worthless and happy.
Time for me to take a nap....

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I'm still newish on here so happy to wind my neck in, but I guess the reality is it's a judgment call.

If you all know each other then PayPal doesn't seem overly necessary... And if the item is a rubber band ball for £5 then it's a judgment call as to whether or not you really "care" enough to worry about paying the excess fees... (Not that with my part Scottish genes I like burning fivers...)..

I bought some trousers on here off someone I didn't know, but they were clearly a known member to some (not to me), PayPal was safe and REALLY easy way for me to transfer the money to him, it meant he felt safe that the money was accounted for and I felt safe knowing that it was all sorted.. plus the amount of ~£70 was something that I couldn't just risk.

Plus I'm not sure I can do a BT with a credit card, whereas I can make PayPal payments with it - which somewhat makes me money with rewards (I think it counts for PayPal)...

My £0.02 anyway...

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I'm still newish on here so happy to wind my neck in, but I guess the reality is it's a judgment call.

If you all know each other then PayPal doesn't seem overly necessary... And if the item is a rubber band ball for £5 then it's a judgment call as to whether or not you really "care" enough to worry about paying the excess fees... (Not that with my part Scottish genes I like burning fivers...)..

I bought some trousers on here off someone I didn't know, but they were clearly a known member to some (not to me), PayPal was safe and REALLY easy way for me to transfer the money to him, it meant he felt safe that the money was accounted for and I felt safe knowing that it was all sorted.. plus the amount of ~£70 was something that I couldn't just risk.

Plus I'm not sure I can do a BT with a credit card, whereas I can make PayPal payments with it - which somewhat makes me money with rewards (I think it counts for PayPal)...

My £0.02 anyway...
It’s using PayPal friends and family that is the problem. You don’t get any protection at all.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Just to say, if you use Paypal you should check with their rules and regulations exactly what they cover for a refund......Knives, Arms and other things they will not cover you if you don't get them.
And as previously said, if you use F+F then you get no cover at all, regarding telling the Police, they are not interested.
I have only been stung once, and the amount was low, but in essence if you are buying of any forum by post, then you are taking chances, not many forums have feedback on sales by members, so even if you buy of someone who as been a member for years (like I did) doesn't mean you wont get fleeced.
If you are not sure, ask for a phone number and postal address, offer to pay by Cheque ( those little paper thingy's) if they wont accept a cheque, walk away.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Maybe a wall of shame?

Also, I'm aware of the F+F problem, but the reality is a couple extra quid for protection on larger purchases seems like a decent compromise for me. Obviously each to their own...

Reactions: nigelp and Fadcode

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Maybe a wall of shame?

Also, I'm aware of the F+F problem, but the reality is a couple extra quid for protection on larger purchases seems like a decent compromise for me. Obviously each to their own...
No point. Any scammer can rejoin after a ban with a new alias, different email, and use a VPN to hide their location. I think the point BCUK are making here is that any sale and purchase taking place on the forum needs to be visibly above board legally, and for users to be aware of possible scams. Then it’s caveat emptor, let the buyer beware. O

This is pretty much as far as BCUK responsibility goes, what the individual does within the PM system is up to them. Before I sell to anyone here that I don’t know I check date of joining, post count and read a few posts to see if it’s waffle or genuine.

On the other hand, of the several sales I made here in recent weeks, only 4 people got back to me to say they’d received the items and thanks. I sort of knew this would happen, and it makes for an impersonal selling site in an increasingly impersonal online purchasing world. If we’re selling here it’s not hard to build a bit of a relationship. Most people I buy from on here I only buy from because we sort of know each other anyway.

One parcel went amiss but was found and sent on with my apologies. The others I have no idea, but an acknowledgement of items received and a bit of feedback would have been good. If I get good service from ebay sellers I leave good feedback, but on here I’d at least appreciate a PM to say it got there ok.

It‘s mainly a bushcraft/outdoor forum with some exchanges of cash and equipment between friends and best kept that way.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I had the opposite case.
Someone dropped me a PM although I didn't try to buy the knife, just asked about it.
He asked for my address and did send me the knife for free without leaving his adress or bank connection.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
If you are not sure, ask for a phone number and postal address, offer to pay by Cheque ( those little paper thingy's) if they wont accept a cheque, walk away.
They payment method thing goes both ways - the seller needs to be comfortable, just as the buyer needs to be comfortable.

If someone offered to buy something from me by cheque, unless I knew them, I'd likely run a mile.

Also, a cheque affords the buyer with no more protection than a bank transfer, so what's the purpose? All it does is slow everything down as the buyer needs to post the cheque, the seller then needs to wait to receive it and then cash it and wait for the funds to clear.

What benefit do you see in a cheque @Fadcode ?

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In Germany cheque betray is very high threatened. It's a class on it's own, the rules are absolutely clear and if you betray you will end in prison, independent of the amount of money.

Reactions: Fadcode

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I did sort of mean the established members who shafted people on here.

I guess you're right though, it's nice to be a little spot where members can chat and exchange equipment on a friendly basis. Rather than a loose, less protected version of eBay.

I guess it is buyer and seller beware. Probably something to be said about making a personal judgement call and maybe not selling to new(ish) members, it's very easy to sound like a convincing "newbie" to the BC world..

Reactions: Nice65

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
They payment method thing goes both ways - the seller needs to be comfortable, just as the buyer needs to be comfortable.

If someone offered to buy something from me by cheque, unless I knew them, I'd likely run a mile.

Also, a cheque affords the buyer with no more protection than a bank transfer, so what's the purpose? All it does is slow everything down as the buyer needs to post the cheque, the seller then needs to wait to receive it and then cash it and wait for the funds to clear.

What benefit do you see in a cheque @Fadcode ?
A cheque has to be paid into a bank Account of a named person, therefore it is traceable, a email address (for Paypal) means nothing, it takes just a few minutes to create an email address, also it shows the seller is not desperate for money, regards protection, no service offers full protection, except face to face.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
A cheque has to be paid into a bank Account of a named person, therefore it is traceable, a email address (for Paypal) means nothing, it takes just a few minutes to create an email address, also it shows the seller is not desperate for money, regards protection, no service offers full protection, except face to face.
My question was the benefit of a cheque over bank transfer? Seems identical to me, just the cheque takes far longer.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Just to say, if you use Paypal you should check with their rules and regulations exactly what they cover for a refund......Knives, Arms and other things they will not cover you if you don't get them.
And as previously said, if you use F+F then you get no cover at all, regarding telling the Police, they are not interested.
I have only been stung once, and the amount was low, but in essence if you are buying of any forum by post, then you are taking chances, not many forums have feedback on sales by members, so even if you buy of someone who as been a member for years (like I did) doesn't mean you wont get fleeced.

Sorry Fadcode; I would refuse a cheque every time. Why should I have to travel 26 miles round trip to the nearest bank to pay it in and spend the best part of an hour of my time because someone doesn't 'like big companies'? :)

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Sorry Fadcode; I would refuse a cheque every time. Why should I have to travel 26 miles round trip to the nearest bank to pay it in and spend the best part of an hour of my time because someone doesn't 'like big companies'? :)
To save you effort in future, you can often pay in cheques using your phone's banking app now. Some banks may be lagging behind in this, but you can with a good few.

But you still need to wait to receive it in the post before you can do so.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hard working people all over mugged for their hard earned by these bottom feeder scum
Well OTT sweary post mate. It’s not really mugged if you just hand over the cash without checking who you’re giving it to and for what. Mugging is forcible stealing, often with a threat of violence without the offer of a waterproof smock or army tent in return?

All that’s happening here is a heads up about increased scams, a reminder of the selling rules, and advice on staying safe. :)

My question was the benefit of a cheque over bank transfer? Seems identical to me, just the cheque takes far longer.

My wife does care work for old people who are still convinced cheques are how things are paid. Her mobile banking app uses the phones camera to scan the cheque and pay it in to her bank. I can’t for the life of me think this is a more secure system than a direct bank transfer, which is fully traceable.

Or why anyone thinks driving a car or public transport to a bricks and mortar bank to pay in a cheque made of woodpulp that’s been grown from seed, transplanted out, managed and maintained, harvested, loaded onto a truck, taken to a mill, pulped and by a complex process made into paper, loaded again and taken to a manufacturer who cuts the paper to size, prints it with inks and makes it into cheque books. It’s a very bloated process.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I take it you think plastic money notes, is better for the environment than recycled paper, and taking into account our Bank Notes aren't even made in this country, i would have thought their carbon footprint is quite large.
(tongue in cheek comment)
I thought the thread was about preventing getting scammed, I think you may have missed the point which is, if you pay by cheque ( something I have never done) you get the name and address of the seller, as you have to post the cheque.
Which gives you a bit of security, I doubt a bogus seller would give you their name and address.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Nice 65 wrote:
I can’t for the life of me think this is a more secure system than a direct bank transfer, which is fully traceable.

if Bank Transfers were fully traceable, no one would be scammed...........people are usually scammed by sending money to people by Bank Transfer......even the Banks seem unable to trace the money once it's transferred.
In fact I would say that it would be very unusual for a person without a Bank Account to be scammed at all.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Especially if that bogus seller is, as we suspect, sat in West Africa someplace!

Which brings up an amusing thought. If approached by someone suspected of being a scammer...offer to pay by cheque...and would they be interested in helping your recover $10,000,000 that belonged to your recently deceased uncle who was ruler of a small island off Scotland? (see 419 eaters)

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Ah, as I've not seen a cheque in years, I wasn't aware of that :)
As banks seem to favour closing branches, I think you will see a lot more of this, and more ways to move your money around, let's just hope the electric stays on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE