Bevel Filing Jig

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Decided to upgrade my filing jig. Must've made about thirty knives on the old MDF one. I like the simplicity and flexibility of this method so have put the old girl out to pasture and knocked up a new improved version. Well, it will be when I finish it. Anyway, filed the first two blanks on it today and I'm pleased so far. One or two little bits of fine tuning to go.

All solid steel and brass. Weighs about the same as a small motorbike. Erred on the overkill side. You can't beat a bit of overkill in my view.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
A nice machine you've made there. I understand how you've filed the drop point, but the other(term for point alludes me) I think that isn't a simple job to do the curved bevel. I'm guessing the bar is crossed to the other side of the top support?

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Thanks guys!

The filing bar is round. That allows the flat file to track around and off at the tip. The bar only goes to the other side of the jig when i'm filing the second bevel.

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
Super slick bit of kit, hoss. The only thing that would make it better, aside from selling it to me, would be some adding some crazy steampunk collection of knobs and gears that would raise and lower the crossbar.

Absolutely love your work!

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Thanks mate. It could be given the steampunk treatment. Would probably look quite cool. Its a nice partner to my home made sharpener.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
And I'm still mad at you for not selling me that awesome sharpener!

If I had only half as much talent as you, I'd rule the world!

wish I could have sold it to you but then I would have ended up with a load of blunt knives. Thanks for the kind words though.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You should make some to sell Daz. That sharpener would be well received, especially if it can do scandi angles. Its a complete BEAST!!

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
You should make some to sell Daz. That sharpener would be well received, especially if it can do scandi angles. Its a complete BEAST!!

Thanks Mark! It would probably cost me a fortune to produce mate. Most of it came out of the scrap bin at work. I've no idea what it would cost to produce. It will do skandi angles. The jaw is in two parts and adjustable. Can be set for shallow angles. You can see the jaw a little better in this pic.

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Doesn't matter what it costs... you earn that back in the sale. :)

Could be done reasonably if you refined the materials and design and made 10 or so at a time. Compatible with different types of stone. etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE