Best Wood?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I'm going to look into making a catapult for my son (he's 11) to use when we are out in good old nature.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has any opinions as to the best type of wood for making the frame?

I am aware of laminates but I would rather keep this close to nature and just use a good old piece of 'y-forked' wood that I can strip back and shape and then attach some readily available bands to it.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Dan

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
a "thorn" tree (hawthorn, blackthorn etc.) would be my first choice, really slow growing so really dense, and full of interesting little forks and twists. i love working with those kind of woods, they've got enormous strength and great character, catapults are about the biggest thing you can usually get out of one though

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Sweet chestnut, or holly? Both can produce some great forks? Just hard to drop on the right one

...... Failed dogger and alleged bigot!

bayleaf

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2008
gloucestershire
Years ago I made a perfectly good one from a well grown piece of elder.It is a very tough wood,and often provides forked pieces.Try a bit,you'll be surprised.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE