Best wood for Bowl Carving

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am looking to try my hand at carving a large bowl, which is the best one to carve by hand nothing to hard tho, any ideas please, I like the look of a burr or splalted, so any info would be of help.

Also best finish to use ie Oil ect.

also ideas of were to get some from, as I would like to make a pair of spoons from the same tree.... as to make a set, like a salad bowl and spoons.

Thank you for the help with this.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Birch, Sycamore, lime are all easy to carve and the first two are readily available. Im sure other more experienced carvers will be able to tell you better than i on that front though.

Finish depends on what the bowl will be used for, ie - foodstuffs, or non foodstuffs. If your wanting a salad bowl then walnut oil is supposed to be good. If its not going to have food in it then any of the wood finishing oils will do. I like danish oil.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
If its for food consumption I would stay away from all splalted wood it contains a toxic fungus, and may have potential health risks, some other woods to be aware of are Laburnum, Cedar, Black Walnut, and of course Yew among others, There are still loads o lovely woods out there all the same, try a nice Birch burr .

Last edited:

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Any wood you can get your hands on, just like has been mentioned Lime or Birch is good, I have made bowls from alot of different wood some is esier to carve than others, Cedar is ok to use, spoons were made from cedar for years.
Another good one is Poplar.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have a bowl carving course starting tomorrow and for those I want the best easiest woods possible. Make life easy for yourself, choose a nice clean section of the trunk of a tree (rather than branchwood) and softish species. I always go for.....lime, alder, poplar or willow. Do you have an adze? it's hard graft without one.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The best wood is the bit that you have on hand. Lime probably has the best reputation for being easy to work though.

As for finishes, that depends on what you want to do with it. Walnut oil will give a food safe and child safe finish, but rather a matt look. Finishing oil and wax will give a better gloss, but are not food safe.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
As you'r going to the Sussex meet next week, if you fancy some sweet chestnut it is available there, not exactly green but workable, there is also some Spalted birch about there as well as I carved a couple of spoons from some, that was not big enough to do a bowl from mind.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
that's interesting. Do you have a source for that info?

Forest Industries - The Spalted Wood

("The dust created from sanding and sawing spalted wood has a toxic nature about it and has a reputation for causing respiratory problems. More specifically the mold or fungi that causes spalting to occur is what triggers the asthma like reactions that can be severe. Farmers handling moldy hay may experience similar symptoms. About two to five percent of the population can be expected to develop allergic sensitivity to one or more compounds found in wood. If you handle a lot of potentially toxic species, and work with them long enough, you increase your chances of a reaction. Among hobby woodworkers, at least one death has been reported, that of a New Orleans man in 1987. Spalted wood can also contain claustridius, the bacteria responsible for botulism. The best defense is to have a good dust extractions system and to wear a dust mask when working with spalted or any other kind of wood.")

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
that's interesting. Do you have a source for that info?
As far as I was aware its fairly common knowledge, However I only found out when I was walking in the woods with a pal of mine and the dude knows his stuff wood guitars and string instruments veneers and so on , when we found this..
Spalted Beach.
But don’t take my word for it have a look on the tinternet Bro.

Forest Industries - The Spalted Wood

"The dust created from sanding and sawing spalted wood has a toxic nature about it and has a reputation for causing respiratory problems. More specifically the mold or fungi that causes spalting to occur is what triggers the asthma like reactions that can be severe. Farmers handling moldy hay may experience similar symptoms. About two to five percent of the population can be expected to develop allergic sensitivity to one or more compounds found in wood. If you handle a lot of potentially toxic species, and work with them long enough, you increase your chances of a reaction. Among hobby woodworkers, at least one death has been reported, that of a New Orleans man in 1987. Spalted wood can also contain claustridius, the bacteria responsible for botulism. The best defense is to have a good dust extractions system and to wear a dust mask when working with spalted or any other kind of wood."

Last edited:

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
" The best defense is to have a good dust extractions system and to wear a dust mask when working with spalted or any other kind of wood."

The best defense is don't sand it with power sanders then inhale the dust.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
It only states sawing and sanding as points of caution due to effects to the respiratory system. Thats a total different thing to having a bowl made of spalted wood. :)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I don't carve much myself, and if i had spalted stuff it'd be going on a knife anyway. :)

There are tons of bowls out there made from spalted wood though, you can buy plenty on ebay. :)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
As you'r going to the Sussex meet next week, if you fancy some sweet chestnut it is available there, not exactly green but workable, there is also some Spalted birch about there as well as I carved a couple of spoons from some, that was not big enough to do a bowl from mind.

sounds like a plan, may well go down that i'll have a look, than you for that Hugo.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thank you for all the replys, it great info your all giving, carry on as i like to know any helpful info.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE