Best Whiskey for £50???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
You've said "whiskey" so are you limited to Irish and Bourbon? ;)

It depends entirely on his taste. I'd go for an Islay for myself, but if you're not into Islay that could be a lead balloon. If you don't know what he likes, probably best to stick to Speyside. if he's a "fan of whiskey", his tastes are more likely to be specific and your guess at what to buy is made harder.

That said, once it's drunk it's gone. Could you get him something to keep, or was the collection on the basis that it was for a bottle of whisky?

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I've an idea. http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/ has a great selection and I've used them in the past.

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/LostDistilleries.aspx Lists distilleries that have closed or are currently silent.

There are bottles from Lochside and Rosebank in your price bracket.

One of those would be an unusual bottle for him - you're pretty much guaranteed to give him a bottle that he hasn't tried before and if he chooses to keep it, there's a chance it probably will increase in value.

*I'm not offering investment advice! :D

HTH

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
From your choices, the 30yr old Glenfiddich is a good bet, it'll sit well with almost any taste in whisky (note spelling ;))

The Macallan is another good choice, though I prefer the Islay Malts myself.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I'd go for 2 bottles of Highland Park, but that's just me being me!

I was once told that if you want to buy a special whisky, don't buy anything you've ever heard of!

Dave

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I like all malts because of all the differences, but my favorite at the moment is lagaluvin 16 year old.

Now for something properly different, I'd have tried Irish Whiskey. A Bushmills "Black Bush" or a "Malt Bush", or even something from Jameson's would be very good. Bushmills is the oldest whiskey distillery in the world and Irish whiskey is distilled 3 times instead of the normal 2. And remember, Whiskey was invented by the Irish after all.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
At the risk of being called a smarty! The Scottish drink is whisky, no 'e'. Whiskey. with the 'e' is Irish.:nono:

I would choose The Macallan, or Dalwhinnie. Both excellent malts:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE