Best way to draw out a route on an OS map?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
I wrap all my maps in clear plastic and gaffer tape the edges, saves having to use a map case and maps seem to last longer. Been having trouble getting hold of chinagraph pencils lately though.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
You're not given the route until an hour before your start time and smart phones and GPS are not allowed. There's not big secrets about the terrain - undulating fields of farrowed clay fields destined to cake your boots in approximately half a tonne of gloopy soil within about five metres of the start.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I just use a pack of fine tipped overhead projector pens that I got from Staples on a waterproof map. Withstands the weather well and cleans off easily with a drop of meths.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
You're not given the route until an hour before your start time and smart phones and GPS are not allowed.

Ah. I guess it's back to basics then. My own preference is to write a list of directions and waypoints in big fat felt-tipped pen on A4 or A5 sheets of paper. That way I can read them without rummaging around in my kit for my glasses. Even in full daylight I can't read an OS map without my glasses, and for me, at night, without strong lighting, it's almost impossible to make out the fine details.

There's not big secrets about the terrain - undulating fields of farrowed clay fields destined to cake your boots in approximately half a tonne of gloopy soil within about five metres of the start.

Ah. That's me out then. Done enough of that to last me several lifetimes thank you very much. :)

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
As you can tell, everybody has their preference. I have always liked to Fablon the map. (clear sticky back plastic sheet). Then you can mark the map with permanent markers and remove this with Quickies (nail polish removal pads). I stil have a fabloned map of salisbury plain that I used for several exercises in the Army. Fablon is a good idea because you dont need to mess about with an overlay or written notes. One map, one thing to worry about. Putting fablon onto a big map is a pain in the **** though. Cut the map to a smaller size and you can cover it more easily and have a smaller map to carry.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
One other possibility is to use Scotch Matt Finish Removable Tape.

You can use small pieces of tape (it comes in a little dispenser and so is easy to use) to stick on the map at various way points. You then draw (eg) a little circle with an indelible pen on to the tape to mark the point.

An advantage of this method is that you don’t obscure the detail between waypoints and the little bits of tape can be easily removed or repositioned as needed. I add a little ‘stick’ on the circle just to remind me which direction I am supposed to be heading in when I get to the waypoint.

You could also do it in the time available

Probably worth testing different colours of pen to see which work best for you.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Ged, yeah, in terms of rewarding experiences it's firmly in the "because it is there" reasons-to-do-it camp!

Elines - thanks a lot for the Scotch tape tip - that sounds like a very good plan too. Now I'm torn between chinagraph and Scotch tape! I'll take both on our training walk and see which I prefer.

Thanks a lot again guys! I've gone from no ideas to two I think I'll like. This site's a fantastic knowledge base.

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Have you drawn up a route card? Why do you need to mark the map? If you are going to cover 50 miles in one night are you going to have any time to study the map in detail? If you are going to use the map with a torch then you should keep this to a minimum as it really affects your night vision. To be honest if you really need to mark a map then you should practise your orienteering skills over shorter distances and during day light hours and where you can observe the landscape better.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Frogo, thanks for all the socratic questioning.

I just googled "route card" - this sort of thing, yeah? I think I used one of these a couple of decades ago in the scouts! I was thinking about something like that. About 40 mins before your start time you're given a series of grid references. You then can spend that 40 mins preparing how you like.

Last time we had to really study the map hard to be very precise in order to find one checkpoint at about 3 in the morning.

I'm currently leaning towards marking the map rather than using a route card, because prep time is limited. With the route drawn out we can fill in a route card along the way to first few checkpoints then use that as assitance for the rest of the walk.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE