Best way to draw out a route on an OS map?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
As per the title really. Taking part in a psuedo-orienteering walk called Tour De Trigs. They give you a set of grid references and you have to walk from A to B to C. It's 50 miles mostly in darkness.

I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas about how to mark out the route clearly and without obfuscating too much underlining map detail.

Thanks for any tips.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Chinagraph pencil would work on a map case, might even work on the laminated OS maps aswell.
They look good. I was wondering whether the non-permanent Staedtler Lumocolor Map makers would be durable enough, but Mesquite's comment seems to suggest not!

Jun 13, 2008
mold
my way is tracing paper and an ordinary pencil can mark routes and way points on any map and fold inside easily just mark a crossing grid lines and mark the numbers to realign if nessesary i try to keep copys of routes walked and then on a rare empty day you can chose one and off you go

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
my way is tracing paper and an ordinary pencil can mark routes and way points on any map and fold inside easily just mark a crossing grid lines and mark the numbers to realign if nessesary i try to keep copys of routes walked and then on a rare empty day you can chose one and off you go
Niiiice! That seems like a good solution. Might try and find something between the two that can stand up to a rain lashing a bit better than tracing paper.

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
I would second resnikov...in the use of a chinagraph pencil and a laminated os map..the pencil can be removed with some tooth paste..also no need for a map case

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
I would second resnikov...in the use of a chinagraph pencil and a laminated os map..the pencil can be removed with some tooth paste..also no need for a map case
Are these chinagraph pencils easy to use on laminated maps? Do they show up clearly, and is the mark suitably permanent not to come off in heavy rain/mud/user error!

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
get a suitable colour for visability [not red..red head torch at night may not show up like countours]..it is easy to mark..but quite difficult to get of hence the need for something like tooth paste

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I used to use a chinagraph pencil on laminated maps for route-plotting back in my flight-simming days... You can erase them with an ordinary rubber, but it takes a fair bit of elbow grease. I still use them for writing plant labels because they're waterproof, although they do eventually fade after a few months outside. I clean the labels with steel wool, and it still takes a fair bit of elbow grease...

So yeah, chinagraphs are erasable with effort, but they're not going anywhere by accident.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Thanks a lot, guys. This info is invaluable. I think Chinagraphs are what I'll go with. Now, what colour! Hoppinmad has got me thinking - looking at an os map, blue seems like it would stand out.

M

mike-bennett

yeah i am thing of doing the tour, i will just mark the map, i always have, i treat maps as fairly disposable. if you use them a lot you get used to it.

i know people will disagree but when we used to get through maps rallying they just become worn, after 50 miles it will be not much good anyway, especially if its wet.

a decent pencil, nice and soft is the best way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE