Best way of removing rust?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Ive just gone to use my leatherman wave and noticed a couple of small rust spots, just wondered what the best way of removing them is. Is good old WD40 worth a try or can anyone recommend a better way of removing rust?

On the subject of rust (sort of) Ive recently got a GB small forest axe and noticed the head is coated in a rust proofing grease. Is there any need to recoat it after use or only if it gets wet and if it needs reproofing what do I need to do it with?

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
I just clean my axe after use and dry it then give it a quick coat of Renwax prior to storage

Very fine wire wool would be my suggestion as well with a bit of Autosol if needs be

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Ren wax

Renaissance micro - crystalline wax polish from Picreator Enterprises ltd 44 Par View Gardens Londoen NW4 2PN www.picreator.co.uk

As used by the British Museum no less to protect items on disply etc I got a 65 ml pot a few years ago and probably it will last 10 years or more so good value

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Ren wax

Renaissance micro - crystalline wax polish from Picreator Enterprises ltd 44 Par View Gardens Londoen NW4 2PN www.picreator.co.uk

As used by the British Museum no less to protect items on disply etc I got a 65 ml pot a few years ago and probably it will last 10 years or more so good value

Renaissance Wax. Brilliant stuff with a gazillion uses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax

Thanks for the info. Will get some for future use. Will give the wire wool and autosol a try to get rid of the rust, its a very tiny spot in the pliers teeth so may be tricky to get at. Probably wont do any harm leaving it there but its bugging me.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Don't use wire wool on stainless because it isn't stainless. You will get particles of wire wool everywhere in the tool, they will rust and cause the tool to rust more.

You can get stainless steel wire brushes which might clean the jaws of the pliers. I rarely bother being that fussy with mine, sometimes I grip a bit of wood or something squishy and slide them sideways to clean out the bigger bits of crud.

Keep the tool clean and oiled if you aren't going to use it daily. A little WD40 or some other light lubricant will help to prevent rust, reduce wear and even keep blades sharp -- a sharp blade can rust quickly, even a stainless one isn't immune.

Beorn

Oct 27, 2009
Ulm
Just the way you clean your teeth, paste and brush (I use my used electrical brushes, so it's quite funny).

greenwood

Forager
Jan 2, 2012
Wild Wiltshire
You can use good old vinegar, leave it on or soaking for a few hours or over night depending on rust and then wash off, squirt of wd40 to clean off water then a light oil like 3 in 1 or grease.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE