Best US kit?

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Hi All,

I am going to Florida on holiday next month and I don't know if I will be able to do any outdoors shopping other than getting some Oakley half jacket xlj lenses, but I was wondering what you thought the bet bit of US outdoor kit that could fall into my case on the way home ;)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Made in China or not, it is all still half the price it is here. Anyway, I know for a fact that loads of it is made in South and Central America :lmao: :D

Honestly, I would have a browse around the LLbean and Cabelas web sites. They do some nice clothing at very reasonable prices, and I would be most surprised if you could not get it sent mail order C/O a hotel.

I guess the answer is going to depend on what kind of kit you were looking for? I suppose that there might be some good outdoor shops that you could stumble on and have a wander around, but that is really taking pot luck as to whether they will have anything you want.

All kinds of camping kit is cheaper. What are you short of?

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
Not sure what exactly you are loking for, or whats even in FL. LL Bean is excellent, and, you can return their gear when it fails. No questions asked. We also have EMS, REI, and probably dozens of smaller places that cater to outdoor crowds. FL isnt really known for its hiking/outdoor stuff, its more touristy. Good luck in your hunt.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I went to Florida last May and spent a good couple of hours in the Camping / outdoors section of Walmart it was great, have a look for yourself!

O

oilyrag

These are worth finding, US Issue circa '44.
40229212.jpg

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
clcuckow are you looking for civilian or U.S. military kit?....when you hit the ground in the U.S.A. look at the yellow pages phone book and look under camping for outdoor stores and surplus for your military items....that should help you find shoppes in your area....for the most part alot of the crap you find at the surplus stores are cheap/bad knock-offs of U.S. kit ....buyer beware .....have a good time and be safe.....vince g. 11b inf....

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Hi All,

I am going to Florida on holiday next month and I don't know if I will be able to do any outdoors shopping other than getting some Oakley half jacket xlj lenses, but I was wondering what you thought the bet bit of US outdoor kit that could fall into my case on the way home ;)

Chris, I picked up a bit of used US gear a couple of weeks ago and it's fantastic. The Eagle Industries III-A assault pack (a day pack),....

DSCN6151.jpg

DSCN6152.jpg

DSCN6155.jpg

DSCN6159.jpg

DSCN6161.jpg

http://www.eagleindustries.com/prd_detail.asp?ProdID=50&CatID=89&SubCatID=48

Around $150 to $175 US.

Hard to find over here and if you could find it in the UK, I wouldthink you would pay in excess of £1 for $1 at least, if not more.

It's a fantastic pack, at around 35L or so, it's a brilliant day pack (or 3 day pack if you're frugal) - it puts the PRI-Karrimor gear to shame. Light years ahead. In fact if I could find one of these...
http://www.eagleindustries.com/prd_detail.asp?ProdID=50&CatID=89&SubCatID=48 at a sensible price, I would probably buy one of those as well.

Highly recommended.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Can't be sure, but Cabelas seems to be a midwestern type store, but there may be a Bass ProShop in Fl, and that could be fun to check out.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
A couple of years ago my parents went and I had Patagonia stuff delivered to their hotel. MUCH cheaper, they do their fishing stuff in Olive for those who need it, but I have yet to wear any of their stuff out and you do pay a quid for a dollar over here.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
In my experience, there are some useful bit's of US military surplus kit that seem to be hard to find or expensive over here in UK. If you can get some of the following, i dont think you'll go far wrong.

1. US quilted poncho/sleeping bag liner. Usually in woodland camo, it is a fantastic warm weather quilt or hammock accessory. Very light and fold/roll up to nothing.

2. Old US cinch back hide combat gloves. Tough as you like, last forever, ideal for camp work.

3. BDU trousers in any colour /cam that take your fancy. Heavy weight or light weight versions, you can pick them up for pennies out there and they are durable as well as cheap.

4. Paracord. It seem's readily available in MANYdifferent colours and thickness's at a fraction of the price over here.

5. Boots. Danner boots and Matterhorn boots are available over here but with a serious mark up in price. Over there you have more choice of styles, more choice in size and you'll be paying 1/3 of the price compared to over here.

Just a few suggestions, make of them what you will but i did'nt miss the chance when i went over there and have not regretted it ever since. Every time i go out, people ask me how much i paid for my brown Danners and where i got them from. The look on their faces when i works out that i paid less for them than a pair of Hi-Tec's over here!

Just watch out for import duty. If you try to import over £32 worth of items (i think) into this country, your liable for duty. But if you've worn the boots, they are no longer new! Anyway, it's up to them to prove you did not take the kit out with you in the first place!:)

Good luck and enjoy the trip!

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
If anybody is over here and has some room in your checked luggage going back, I have a roll of OD paracord that would like to find it's way to British Red. I'm sure he will share some of it for the trouble.

What would 1200 feet of the real stuff cost over there? Shipping was going to be more than the cord cost me. My neighbor owns a factory so I can get any size and color of cord cheap, even custom made to order.

Old Geezer

Aug 22, 2006
UK
C.C. Filson has to be the Roller of N American outdoors clothing. They do a huge range of very good shirts from heavy lumberjack type to safari type. Their Mackinaw wool jackets and pants will laugh at our weather being made for Canadian-rim States, and yes, they do 'em in forest green if you don't fancy the lumberjack look.

If I were paying a visit to the US, I'd Google their site and make a shopping list as you'll not find an outlet in the UK/Europe. Florida might not be their sort of climate, but I'm pretty sure they list all their stores on their web-site.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Sorry I have been quite on this thread. It was not just a start new thread and forget, I have been working away from home.

Thanks for all the ideas and Martyn that pack looks great I just cannot justify getting one while my 15 year old berghaus dart 35 is still strong ;) I will be in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area so will try and find a good surplus store and have a good look around.

I was hoping that someone might have recommended something more like traditional american outdoor kit that I had not even heard of before e.g. some hidden gem :D

Thanks again everyone.

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
Good, you'll like it. I went to the one in Dallas Texas and was impressed. Spent alot of time and money in there. :rolleyes: That's where I found the stainless steel fish hooks among other things. :D Inside the store (in Dallas anyway) they have a large fish tank with every freshwater fish imaginable and a small trout pond with a fountain and live ducks swimming in it in the store. :eek: I loved it. I plan on going to the one in Jackson Mississippi in June.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE