Best US kit?

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I went to one once, they were demonstrating fly fishing indoors, in an indoor stream. Was pretty cool to watch.
In addition to blackhawk, you may want to look into Kifaru stuff...their stuff is bombproof. Met the owners, and they are fantastic. They cater mainly to military folks, but take civilian orders as well. Just a suggestion.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Try and get a mate in the States to post to you, all my gear is marked "used camping equipment" value $15, no problems to date with parcels being opened up.

Got these, about $70 delivered, brand new, can't go wrong
http://www.wardenssupplyco.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_22&products_id=99
really good boots, well on a par with Pro boots and still cheap even with delivery (only small sizes now, but keep checking the site)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Just about anything by Camelbak (check out the difference between the Woodlore price and the US retail price for the Talon and drinking filter), Leatherman/Gerber tools, anything from Tactical suppliers like Maxpedition, Blackhawk, Spec-Ops, clothing from North Face and Patagonia. Frankly, just about anything with a US manufacturer/distributor!

Bass Pros are pretty good but the suggestion about buying stuff on t'internet and getting it delivered to the hotel is a good one...if they accept your UK credit card.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Well I am back and thanks for all the advice. I did not get chance to get to a Surplus store but I did get chance to go to Bass Pro a couple of time. I must say that I was a bit disappointed with Bass but that might be that they had stocked to store to match the area e.g. not much camping but lots of sailing, fishing and BBQ. That said I did manage to spend a fortune :D

The Wall Marts were also a bit of a let down as well as the ones a found had quite small outdoors departments compared to the ones I have been to in the US again it must have been the area and the fact that is was the start of the Hurricane season so a lot of space was taken up by emergency heating/cooking and lighting. That said strangle enough I did manage to spend a fair bit and some dirt cheap bargains :D

The surprising place for the bargains both the ones I got and the ones that got away was the sawgrass outlet mall in FL. I managed to get some cheap Oakley half jacket XLJ polarised lenses from the Oakley store and also in another store found another pair of XLJ half jacket glasses for less than $70 that £35 at the exchange rate I got! But the bargains that got away was even better! The Sports Authority shop at sawgrass had a managers special one a couple of cast iron dutch ovens, a small one at $9 and one of the large ones with the legs for $19! But I could not have managed the weight, as it was with a:

Katadyn Hiker Pro
Oakley glasses + extra lenses
Lansky Crock sticks
Lansky Fine Serrated stone
Realtree Mug
Folding emergency Sterno stove
MaxiDeet
Bota Bag (dirt cheap from Wall Mart and way cheaper that the last one I got in Spain where they are made!)
and loads of other bits and bobs so that I was way over weight coming home :D

With the dollar so weak I could just not help myself. Next time I think that I will go with more of a plan.

I just wish I could have brought back those ovens!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE