Best thing about bivvying ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I love the outdoors but I have to say that I like the outdoors a lot better when I'm bivvying! I just feel so much more in touch with nature - the smells, the sounds and the sights. But the thing I really like is the starry nights where you can actually watch the stars move. tents and so on have their place but for me, bivvying is best!!!!

M

max

With you Adi

I now use a Terra nova jupiter ( don't leave anything to chance now with the british weather) - but most times, if the weather is good just a therma rest and my bag - Mountain equipment sleepwalker 3. I used to use ex-mil stuff 'till I went on a training course and seen what the instructor was using during a night of absolute hell, needless to say who was dry next day.

Love it!

Maxmountains

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I use the 2000 pattern mil ones ... thay're a LOT more waterproof/breathable than the older ones ... I've not gotten wet yet!!!!

AntarcticFire

Oct 3, 2003
Guildford, Surrey
www.uhmc.co.uk
I tried bivvying on Glyder Fach once, hoping to catch a good sunrise and instead got rained on and blown against all night. I was using a Outdoor Designs Alpine bivvy and got wet in the end - I can decide whether is was due to the heavy rain and wind or the fact I was breathing into it a fair bit trying to keep my head dry. :-?

The next morning was misty and wet, so I didn't get to see a sunrise either! :-(

I would defintely do it again though, just maybe after checking the forecast a little more closely!

P

Pathos

Hi
good thread. I have bivvied a few times, most recently in the Rhinogs, all that heather and the views in the morning, stunning! I use an ex army green (not patterned) simple £40 goretex thing and a sleeping bag. Have used a basha though to keep rain off, hope thats not cheating!!

Its a great way to escape things and get back to nature. Not for someone who wants a lie on though :lol: I tend to use it on hills and mountains though rather than lowlands or woods. Main drawback is that its a bugger to get back into its pack with cold hands!!

Paul

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Trying to catch a sunrise in Snowdonia ... :rolmao: :eek:):
Doesn't happen often, but when it does ... it's neat :biggthump

AntarcticFire said:
I tried bivvying on Glyder Fach once, hoping to catch a good sunrise and instead got rained on and blown against all night. I was using a Outdoor Designs Alpine bivvy and got wet in the end - I can decide whether is was due to the heavy rain and wind or the fact I was breathing into it a fair bit trying to keep my head dry. :-?

The next morning was misty and wet, so I didn't get to see a sunrise either! :-(

I would defintely do it again though, just maybe after checking the forecast a little more closely!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
i remember bivvying with the woodcraft folk. it was throwing it down and i had a orange bag with a hole in it.somehow i managed to sta more dry then most, i think it was becasue i had the baffles doe up. this girl stole my clothes so ihad to walk 1.5miles back with my sleeping bag keeping me decent (i felt sorry for her as she was cold and wet).

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
The best thing about bivvying is...

Fitting everything into a 20 litre rucksack and just going ... no fuss putting up tents or hammocks or bashas, just roll your bed out when the fancy takes you...

Then lie back and watch the stars. It's even better with the nightscope - watching the stars and the wildlife. :-D

If it's raining you just snuggle down a little deeper, pull your stuff inside with you and be thankful for breathable fabrics! :umbrella:

Now I'm using Gary's tips (Thanks Gary! :You_Rock_) of using a poncho as waterproofs for getting in and out of the bivvy, and rolling up the whole bivvy (bag n all!) rather than packing them away separately, I am practically addicted to bivvying! :cool:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Your welcome. :uu:

Bivying is fantastic - and if you like your stars Adi try the Canadain prearies - no light pollution, no back ground traffic noise - just the creators twinkling beauty and the moon, so so big and blue.

Now your making me all melancholy!

Anyway back to Bivying - isnt that the classic example of back to basics. All you have done is replaced a blanket with a bivi bag but thats cool especially with britains weather and the fact you cant always enjoy a comfy fire..

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Absolutely! It's a little bit more back to basics every time.

In the old days we always used a tent big enough for everyone. Then individual hiker tents. Then bashas and now just bivvis. Last time we left the backpacks behind too and just had bivvi-rolls (just like Kwai Chang Caine in kung fu used to! :lol:)

I'm just waiting for a warm night so I can take out just a blankie - I've slept out with just a poncho before (Clint Eastwood style :lol:) but not in the UK. Now for some warm weather ... :)

(Same thing goes for all the 'survival' bits and bobs I used to carry, you start by making exceptions 'well I won't possibly need that on this trip' until eventually they all just get left behind ... :roll:)

Freedom! :cold2:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
A blankie isnt that far off - now you have a US poncho get Adi to find his old liner and there you will have it!! Waterproof too. :biggthump

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Gary said:
....and if you like your stars Adi try the Canadain prearies - no light pollution, no back ground traffic noise - just the creators twinkling beauty and the moon, so so big and blue...
or the African sky.... absolutely stunning !!

Kath said:
...I'm just waiting for a warm night so I can take out just a blankie - I've slept out with just a poncho before (Clint Eastwood style :lol:) but not in the UK...
You should try the Fjellduken (http://www.jerven.no/ - sorry it's only in Norwegian), which works well even here in Norway - poncho, shelter, bivybag, light sleeping bag all in one :biggthump - I'm going to upgrade to the new model "Multimate" as soon as my "financial dept" give me the thumps up :mrgreen:

As Adi007 said bivvying is best! You just feel so much more in touch with nature, and get all your senses filled with the smells, sounds and sights. With the exception of the saami lavvo, I don't like tents with their bad air and small space.
No matter where I'm travelling, bivvying on the ground or using hammock and a tarp is my favorite means of spending the night.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Tvividr said:
You should try the Fjellduken (http://www.jerven.no/ - sorry it's only in Norwegian), which works well even here in Norway - poncho, shelter, bivybag, light sleeping bag all in one :biggthump
From the pictures it looks amazing :-D - wish I could read it too! :banghead:

Any ideas if anyone sells these anywhere in the uk?

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Kath said:
From the pictures it looks amazing :-D - wish I could read it too! :banghead:

Any ideas if anyone sells these anywhere in the uk?
I don't think they have any distributors outside Scandinavia (besides Norway, they are available in a few shops in Sweden, Denmark and Greenland), but you are able to buy directly from the factory.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Went on caving exped to Turkey in 1989 - stayed up in mountains. Lying at night looking upwards, saw my first shooting stars and rapidly realised how pollution ruins your view of the heavens - never seen so much in such a clear sky before.

Last bivvy was in Iraq last year - again, no light or industrial pollution in this area so saw shed loads again. Felt a bit more nervous, though, and didn't get much sleep for some reason.... :shock:

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I've never been bivvying before but i would like to, do you have any suggestions for first time bivvys?

Douglas

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2004
Switzerland
Best thing about bivving for me are the stars. I just look up, usually see loads of shooting stars, try to recognise as many constellations as I can, and since I'm always with friends we usually speek till we fall asleep. I also hate leaving the atmosphere of the camp fire, friends and all to go to shut myself up in a tent alone or with just one other person, with no view at all...I prefer keeping that atmosphere till I fall asleep (but then it's by watching the stars, no the fire).

So best thing for me are the stars, but with of course everything that goes round them (place, noises etc.). Actually, the french expression for sleeping with no tent or tarp or anything is "dormir à la belle étoile". It would translate to a less poetic "sleep at the pretty star", I think it suits the activity just right :-D

P.S: Young bushman: take all your normal kit (tent and all) and if it's a clear sky and nice weather just sleep out of the tent. Or if your absolutely sure it will be nice weather (is that even possible in britain? :eek:): ) just don't take your tent at all.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
English weather is very unpredictable and i'd rather have somthing with me just in case. I want to get a bivvi so that I can save space and weight in my pack aswell as appreciating the outdoors outdoors! So taking my tent and sleeping outside isn't really the answer for me. Thanks for your suggestion though!

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Young Bushman, I'd suggest the French army bivvi that my kids use. They cost about twenty pounds, have a zip down the side and are breathable. We got them from USMC. I use a British Army one - they are a bit thicker, more robust and they're longer too (so you can pull your backpack inside out of the rain). They're a bit more expensive ... probably about forty pounds.

Happy Bivvying! :wave:

By the way, loved what you said about "appreciating the outdoors outdoors"! :ekt:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Young Bushman said:
English weather is very unpredictable and i'd rather have somthing with me just in case. I want to get a bivvi so that I can save space and weight in my pack aswell as appreciating the outdoors outdoors! So taking my tent and sleeping outside isn't really the answer for me. Thanks for your suggestion though!
I'd second getting a British Army bivi bag ... nice and big and robust. Good bit of kit!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE