best sharpening system??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Swissgearlabs - love your knife sharpening jig - the clear perspex looks really hi tec - a real contrast to the usual heath robinson set ups I come up with:)

Nov 16, 2011
coventry
i purchases the ice bear combination stone yesterday very good piece of kit however i am still not getting a shaving sharp edge i belive my technique is the reason. i have had a very nice offer from a forum member of a lesson at the next rough close meet so i will pack the gear away and learn the propper way then!

ToneWood

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2012
Wessex
How did you get on, bushcraftsurvival - did the waterstones work out for you in end?

I notice some American woodworkers going back to oil stones. I guess they have quite well defined products & approaches based on them in the USA (esp. Norton stones, Arkansas, Wa****a, etc.). Oil stones seem to be rather anonymous in the UK, if you are lucky you generally get a coarse & fine side side - but the coarseness varies dramatically. I have some which I would class as coarse and coarse, another that is actually soft, a vintage one that is very fine.

I made my own wee setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3lekSIV1iM

does the job very well, you can precisely choose the kind of profile you like. easy to build and all materials (including abrasives) are cheapo.

disadvantage: rather large dimensions and not really portable
Swissgealabs, I notice you don't use this for your Scandi-grind knives - I wondered how you sharpen you Scandi-grind knives?

BTW I currently use Ben Orford's sharpening stick system (see his website or youtube). You make it yourself with 600 grit wet & dry paper. It is v. cheap, v. simple and very effective. Definitely a good way to learn - and perhaps to continue using too. I use 2 homemade stick strops to finish, the first with Autosolv chrome cleaning paste (a grinding paste or polish could be used instead, maybe even tooth paste?). Then a clean strop to finish with.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
For years all i used was waterstones about once a month but now i strop regurly and use my dc4 more often so waterstones dont come out very often. I even strop during using my knives if im carving.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Spydie sharpmaker for me, although I've started stropping regularly and rarely have to take anything to my blades. Paddle strop and autosol & I carry a DMT just in case. Happy with that

ToneWood

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2012
Wessex
Yes, I too strop my carving tools after each use, which means that they rarely need sharpening with anything else (when they do, it is usually just a well worn 600 grit sharpening stick). However, I've also restored sharp edges to a some very blunt old axes and garden tools - that takes a lot more work (e.g. drill grinding wheel, files, then sharpening stones/wet &/or dry paper stuck to glass pane). I still use the sharpening sticks & strops to finish off though, gives a nice, bright polished finish.

Last edited:

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I recently got a lansky four rod turn box and find it easy to use and get good results, finished off with a strop and smurf poo and my left forearm is bald!

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Just watch out with the grinding paste as it's abrasive stuff. Stick with the autosol and even toothpaste, the starky blue smurf poo Longstrider sells is top stuff, great for a final strop!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE