Best piece of kit purchased this year, 2020.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Got a lucky score on a decent original (ex-army) Lowe Alpine Saracen as my to-go backpack. Ditched the Karrimor Sabre 75 which has been a bad fit for me on my last tour in Finnskogen.

Reactions: Mowmow

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk

1. Lowe alpine sting in olive, been after one for ages and very very happy with it

2. a 3m half mask respirator with encapsulated ffp3 cartridges. I managed to get hold of it early April, and have gone through 3 sets of cartridges working in covid icu. It’s stopped me getting sick and I feel weirdly attached to it, I literally trust it with my life.

2 very different items for very different reasons.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
What to choose! I have bought a lot of stuff this year. Haven't had much of a chance to try it out though!
I think I will enjoy my snugpak underquilt and sleeping bag most, but then there is the much coveted and long awaited kupilka set.
There was a new, and better water filter.
Perhaps the new gas stove which I have used (once), or my new knife.
What has given me most entertainment is a new set of sock knitting needles to replace broken ones, and wool. So that could be considered. I now have so many new socks, !

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
What to choose! I have bought a lot of stuff this year. Haven't had much of a chance to try it out though!
I think I will enjoy my snugpak underquilt and sleeping bag most, but then there is the much coveted and long awaited kupilka set.
There was a new, and better water filter.
Perhaps the new gas stove which I have used (once), or my new knife.
What has given me most entertainment is a new set of sock knitting needles to replace broken ones, and wool. So that could be considered. I now have so many new socks, !
What’s a kupilka?

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Mystery Ranch In and Out pack is probably the best thing, but a little Gene Ingram knife was lovely to get and a Spyderco Para 3 in that (as good as they say) K390 steel.

Start of the year however, I got an old B&W 15' 12wt rod .... which I haven't been able to use yet, as I left it in Vancouver at the start of Covid and haven't been able to get it to here. Bummer, as they say.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Got a pic of the Ingram ? I had a matching pair years ago, beautiful workmanship.
This is one of, erm, well, some ... and there's part of me wants another :lol: Given their price, materials and design (as well as Ingram's absolute affability) I am perplexed that everyone who likes a knife doesn't own one. This one is in A2 and a tiddler ... roughly same size as a Fallkniven U2

Ingram-Red.jpg

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
What’s a kupilka?
It's a brand of cup, bowl and plate plus cutlery, all made as I understand it from wood composite, rather like melamine.
Just put kupilka into google, and you'll find it. (Sorry I'm no good at posting links.)
Its eco friendly, lightweight, and looks like wood.
Expensive, but I'm trying to give up plastic, and though I have enamelware, wanted something lighter. Been eyeing this up for about 4 years! Figured I'd better stop wasting time, and buy it.yolo!

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
It's a brand of cup, bowl and plate plus cutlery, all made as I understand it from wood composite, rather like melamine.
Just put kupilka into google, and you'll find it. (Sorry I'm no good at posting links.)
Its eco friendly, lightweight, and looks like wood.
Expensive, but I'm trying to give up plastic, and though I have enamelware, wanted something lighter. Been eyeing this up for about 4 years! Figured I'd better stop wasting time, and buy it.yolo!

ooh I have consciously cut down on plastic aswell, so will have a look at these :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
ooh I have consciously cut down on plastic aswell, so will have a look at these :)

Dont buy the small plate. It is so tiny as to be near useless as anything more than a saucer!
I got the large kuska mug/bowl, so double duty, large plate and cutlery set. You can get a smaller Kuska mug too, if you want to keep the bowl as a bowl, but economies had to be made.
You can always pack an existing mug to go with the set, which is what I will be doing.

Reactions: MrEd

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Equipment buys this year were few and most didn’t turn out the best of ideas.

My best purchases have been clothing of helicon trousers, Rohan stretch bags, and thorlo socks. Forgot how good thorlo were.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
In 2020 I bought and enjoyed using a couple Moras from there carving range and a Kansbol too.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
My woodlore beanie has had way more use than what I thought it would. It's been really handy this winter for personal climate control!

I can't pick one but foraging guides have really changed my year. I'm starting to know over 50% of the plants that I'm looking at now and coming on quickly with the rest. A new phone with a good camera has aided that as I'm able to take good ID photos.

I started using gaiters this year, what a massive bonus they are when it's any kind of wet, but the practicality of taking off the worst of the mud before you step in the house and also protecting your boots a bit is huge.

Lastly I'd say my kayak. The days out it has provided and the unique positions they place you in have been outstanding!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE