Best piece of kit purchased this year, 2020.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hodge

Nomad
Aug 3, 2018
West Midlands
My woodlore beanie has had way more use than what I thought it would. It's been really handy this winter for personal climate control!

I can't pick one but foraging guides have really changed my year. I'm starting to know over 50% of the plants that I'm looking at now and coming on quickly with the rest. A new phone with a good camera has aided that as I'm able to take good ID photos.

I started using gaiters this year, what a massive bonus they are when it's any kind of wet, but the practicality of taking off the worst of the mud before you step in the house and also protecting your boots a bit is huge.

Lastly I'd say my kayak. The days out it has provided and the unique positions they place you in have been outstanding!
I would have to say my canoe was the best item I purchased this year. It helped a lot whilst I was furloughed.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
On a moments impulse I bought a German army winter cap, feels like it is one of the better clothing items I have got for a long time.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
For me 2020 was a tool buying year. A lot the result of irritation slowly building pressure.

I bought a Record Sabre350 bandsaw, a type of tool I have wanted for 20 years and finally decided that I should get while still young enough to use! That saw helped hugely in producing the wood boxes (shown elsewhere) that I made for Christmas gifts. I expect it will help with more boxes, and bow stave processing, not to mention knife handle block work in the months to come.

Another big purchase was a Proxxon 230E micro lathe, from an elderly friend who realised that he hadn't every really made use of it, and wasn't likely to. I have already used it to save my bacon and/or make things I could not have made before. Currently making wheels for the bandsaw mobile base from nylon. Made box lid stay parts from brass and 3mm dowel pins from various woods. Used it to make parts for dust extraction system.

Outdoors gear, hands down has to be a Seek Outside Silvertip 2-man tipi. It arrived in mid summer, but while I have put it up a couple times, I have not had a chance to sleep out in it away from home. On the list of projects is to make a ultra light half-nest bug net to fit it.

Reactions: dwardo

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
This is difficult. I got a couple of very good knives. One a Spyderco Military in 52100 steel and the other a Gene Ingram A2 fixed blade. Also a stonkingly excellent belay jacket from Rab with that Polartec Direct fleece in it.

But, I think, in the end it'll have to be the two possum/merino sweaters I picked up from NZ Nature. There just isn't anything better. Anyone with a Mears beanie will know how light, warm and wicking the material is. I don't know why they don't market the sweaters as high-end, super-tech outdoor wear, because that is exactly what they are. Perfect for all and any day-long, winter exertions. :)

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I didn’t buy all that much in 2020 I don’t think certainly nowt as grand as a Canoe anyway ( I hope too soon ) but I think perhaps me favourite is me Spyderco Bushcraft BCUK edition. It’s a great Schraftin sharps.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I reckon it has to be my Kalthoff carving axe. It really is a joy to use and, despite its label as a carving axe, is also fantastic in use as a bushcraft tool. Hats off to Julia for her creation!

Reactions: Billy-o

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
TJM Mini Fire Anchor for me...

If your interested in one don't be put off the by the "Sold Out / Out of Stock" status. They are generally all made to order so are usually listed as "Out of Stock."

Reactions: UKAndyB

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Seems I bought a fair bit last year but my DeWalt Millington rigger boots were a really good buy. No steel parts so no cold feet and they are holding up well. By comparison I bought some Dunlop wellies which split within 2 weeks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE