Best phone for gps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I'm running an iphone 5S and an app called Tomstrails. I have verified the latitude and longitude on Itouchmap.com and it is within 8 metres of where I am sitting. Tomstrails says it's 65m accurate. I am sitting in an old stone barn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers for the link!

Tbh I'm now starting to think it may be a problem with my phone, I just downloaded toms trails and switched it on. Left my phone by my bedroom window. After 30 mins plus it couldn't get a fix on my location!!!

I checked all the settings first, and they are correct, but it keeps saying waiting for satellites!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Do an iCloud back up and reset your phone as a new phone. That should rule out anything software related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 16, 2014
Gloucestershire
Do an iCloud back up and reset your phone as a new phone. That should rule out anything software related.

The iPhone has several non-obvious settings that can change the behaviour of the GPS. I would do as Countryman suggested and backup the phone, do a complete reset and test the phone without restoring the backup. You should try outside to give the antenna the best chance of seeing the required number of satellites. Contrary to popular belief, the iPhone does not require a phone signal to get a position.

Good luck with your problem.

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
IMHO, buy a separate GPS.
why? because if your batteries in one device dies, you will still have the other.
gpsphone dies? not only will you get lost, but you won't be able to call for help either...
either that, or buy a good compass, and learn how to use it. :)

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
IMHO, buy a separate GPS.
why? because if your batteries in one device dies, you will still have the other.
gpsphone dies? not only will you get lost, but you won't be able to call for help either...
either that, or buy a good compass, and learn how to use it. :)

Carry a spare battery and/or a USB power bank.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton

The iPhone has several non-obvious settings that can change the behaviour of the GPS. I would do as Countryman suggested and backup the phone, do a complete reset and test the phone without restoring the backup. You should try outside to give the antenna the best chance of seeing the required number of satellites. Contrary to popular belief, the iPhone does not require a phone signal to get a position.

Does the GPS on the app work when your out on the hills with no phone recep

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
i use a iphone 4 with view ranger and its spot on, i always take a map but to be honest dont really need it but its there if a do, theres nowt wrong with the phone you have, take it to a apple store and tell them, they will sort it, its prob some daft setting you havent clicked,

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm running an iphone 5S and an app called Tomstrails. I have verified the latitude and longitude on Itouchmap.com and it is within 8 metres of where I am sitting. Tomstrails says it's 65m accurate. I am sitting in an old stone barn.

So, I have to ask. Are you the software designer?

Mar 16, 2014
Gloucestershire
Yes, its does on modern smartphones you dont need a phone signal for the gps to work

A GPS receiver uses the signal from the GPS satellites to calculate it's position relative to the satellite, but it needs to know where the satellite is before it can give you a physical location. That's the time consuming bit because the satellite position data, or GPS Almanac, is downloaded from the satellite and can take several minutes to acquire. The almanac can be received over the cell network much faster, known as A-GPS and that is why a smart phone often gets a fix faster than a dedicated GPS. A phone will work without cell phone coverage the same way that a dedicated GPS does. The almanac is valid for some time so if you run an app that uses the GPS earlier in the day, you will have the data before you get in the wild.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE