Best outdoor cooking stove

U

unamodo

Been sponsored I currently own 12 stoves and have used many more and would honestly recommend the Primus Omnifuel, it's retail is £119 but do a search and you can find it for £90 delivered. The great thing about it is that it is a gas stove or a liquid fuel stove depending on which (Supplied) jet you use. It is easily field maintainable, and has quite possibly the most durable pump on the market.

You can find the Multifuel or Varifuel cheaper but you don't get the simmer control.

Another great feature is that to turn it off, you just flip the bottle over and it will burn off the remaining fuel from the line. With my Whisperlite or Dragonfly, surplus fuel leaks when disconnecting the fuel bottle after use.
Weight is slightly more than some others, but you can store the pump in the bottle at all times with no fuel leakage and the stove itself fits easily into my 2 litre MSR Titan pot.

I used mine at 6240m with no problems at all on liquid although most of the time in the UK it gets hooked up to disposable gas cannisters.

The jetboils are great although I would suggest you never rely on the ingition system, instead take a firerod with you and insulate under the canister when in use.

Current Stove List
--------------------------
Jetboil PCS
Jetboil Group
MSR Reactor
MSR Pocket Rocket
Optimus Crux
MSR Whisperlite Int 600
MSR XGK EX
MSR Dragonfly
Primus Omnifuel
Primus Multifuel
Optimus (Brunton) Nova
Optimus Nova +

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Titanium sure is light, but that mug is 4.2 oz or about 120 g I think you'll find. It certainly isn't less than 1 g!

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
it is wrong. that measurement is of the site I bought it from or i put down the wrong one hmmmm.......
PS next time give me a eg of the weight so I don't do stupid things :11doh:

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
it is wrong. that measurement is of the site I bought it from or i put down the wrong one hmmmm.......

eg
0.67g = a few biscuit crumbs
6.7g = a couple of biscuits
67g = half a pack of biscuits
670g (= 0.67Kg ) a couple of packs of biscuits

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
268g would be a couple of packs of biscuits.670g would be 2 full packets and a bit.
thats if the biscuits do weigh 6.7gram per two which would mean there was 40 biscuits in a packet

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK

:D Don't worry I do it all the time, it just meant that if it was .67g I'd have to re-teach my students in their Science classes.

Have fun.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Been reading through the posts and feel like i must be in a time warp as stoves go. As far as my own use goes and for what its worth i have been the proud owner of an Optimus111 hiker for about 25 years ( it was given to me 2nd then) hand. The stove has been very much used abused, and with all honesty has never once let me down and the fuel still only costs about £4 a gallon.So i know outher stoves may be easier to light etc but i will be verysorry when my optimus finally needs to be replaced

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Been reading through the posts and feel like i must be in a time warp as stoves go. As far as my own use goes and for what its worth i have been the proud owner of an Optimus111 hiker for about 25 years ( it was given to me 2nd then) hand. The stove has been very much used abused, and with all honesty has never once let me down and the fuel still only costs about £4 a gallon.So i know outher stoves may be easier to light etc but i will be verysorry when my optimus finally needs to be replaced

I recently bought a russian clone of the hiker off ebay and am very pleased with it:D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I recently bought a russian clone of the hiker off ebay and am very pleased with it:D

Those little Russian clones of the famed 8R (Russian version called the R8 by stove collectors) is a little cracker. They work very well, I've a couple myself and for about 30 euros you can't go wrong.

Picking just one stove is impossible really, its all down to horses for course, time of year, where you are camping, altitude, how many people etc. We had a similar question last week on the stove forum and picking just one is a no win situation.

There are several "Stovies" now on BCUK, Oops and 111T spring to mind and I doubt we could agree on just one stove.

Anyway, for a liquid fuel stove the Nova or Omnifuel rule the roost. The MSR's are good, but don't simmer as well, and are often let down with pump failure and as said by others you can mount the Nova/Omnifuel in a pucker Trangia.

Jetboils are very good for what they are, but if you want more than one cup cooking they are very limited. You can buy a bigger pot for them, but this wacks the cost up to a point where I for one, would not consider it.

Swedish Army meths sets are cheap and cheerful, but slow and heavy and you can't mod them to use with another stove in the future

I love the Opimus 111 range, but unless your a stove collector I'd forget it and go for something like this which will fall into your £70 budget:

Trangia 25 or 27. The 27 feeds one in comfort 2 at a push, the larger 25 feeds two in comfort three at a push, plus you can

A: Mod the pans easy to hang over a fire. Yes they are Aluminium, but won't melt so long as there is food in them, you don't get dementia from using Aluminium.

B: They are 100% reliable and at a future date as your budget improves, mod them (<£10) to take a Nova/Omnifuel

Thats about £50 spent, so you could buy a little gas burner stove like
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Camping-Stove...hZ019QQcategoryZ16036QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
Perfect for warmer weather and a quick brew and you still have about a tenner left for a pot to use on it :)

If you really want to get into stoves go to

www.spiritburner.com thousands of other stove nutters over there and like the members here, they are a friendly bunch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE