Best Material for a Rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Floki

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2016
Slovenia
I'll probably have another look around my local shops for the canvas on monday and hopefully they can at least point me in the direction of where i could find it. Dying it? Thats not a bad idea, i havent really thought of that :D

PS
Whats the tool youre after?

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
If the info I have is good, its the sail makers who have the good canvas.

It's a pincer type tool like a pair of pliers that allows you to puncture a stitching hole on two sides of an item at the same time. I've found a version of it, but it doesn't allow for anything more than half an inch of leather... it won't reach far enough across the leather.

I know the tool exists because I saw it used in a YouTube video... but finding it in the shops... another matter.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Pardon me for the delay; here's a couple of links to suppliers in UK who have canvas suitable for packs. You would have to contact them about sending fabric abroad. If you PM me your address I can send you samples of canvas from both suppliers to have a look at ...

FabricUK

12oz or 420gsm, 182cm wide, Good range of colours, some already waxed, waterproof

Fantastic Fabrics/CH Cross

15oz or 525gsm, 90cm wide, good range of colours, waterproof

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It's a pincer type tool like a pair of pliers that allows you to puncture a stitching hole on two sides of an item at the same time. I've found a version of it, but it doesn't allow for anything more than half an inch of leather... it won't reach far enough across the leather.

I know the tool exists because I saw it used in a YouTube video... but finding it in the shops... another matter.

Why don't you post a pic of it, dewi. Someone might recognise it and know of a supplier.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Sorry about the quality of the picture... I've used my phone to take a picture of my ipad screen because I don't know how to do screen grabs. Anyway, this is the tool...

thingies.jpg

My wife says they're leather pricking nippers, but I can't find them anywhere.

Ian, thank you for the links, they are awesome! Again, its a case of not knowing what things are called or the specs for things... I ordered some canvas online, but when it came it was more like lining material than bag material.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
dewi said:
Ian, thank you for the links, they are awesome! Again, its a case of not knowing what things are called or the specs for things... I ordered some canvas online, but when it came it was more like lining material than bag material.

No joy with the prickers but if you want a couple of canvas samples, drop me a line.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
dewi said:

No joy with the prickers but if you want a couple of canvas samples, drop me a line.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I'm half considering making my own if I can't find them... use a pair of pincers and grind them down to the right shape and size.

I will Ian, thank you for the kind offer :D

Floki

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2016
Slovenia
Can anybody recommend a good dye for canvas? And is there anything special i should know when dyeing or just follow the instructions?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Those links Ian provided have pre-dyed canvas... might be worth grabbing those.

Are you in Slovenia btw? If there are problems getting postage from the sites Ian mentioned... if its the stuff you want, I'll order it here and post it to you.

Floki

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2016
Slovenia
Those links Ian provided have pre-dyed canvas... might be worth grabbing those.

Are you in Slovenia btw? If there are problems getting postage from the sites Ian mentioned... if its the stuff you want, I'll order it here and post it to you.

Yeah had a look at those, but they dont really have the color im after, i'm afraid the only way i'll get it is if i dye it (+ i think its going to be cheaper). Nah thank you tho, the postage comes around pretty much the same :)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
No worries... the offer is always there if you change your mind :D

I'm going to have a go at a smaller canvas/leather bag to begin with... as I've said, be very interested to follow what you end up making. Never ceases to amaze me what members of this site create... could spend all day going through the threads on here that show off people's talents whether it be canvas, leather or metals. Very inspiring.

Floki

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2016
Slovenia
Right so i jumped down to my local fabric store and the only natural canvas that they had was this one (pics down below) it's 350g/12oz and it looks very thin, im scared that its a bit to weak for what im trying to make, but then again ive never made a rucksack out of canvas before. Is this a batter choice for me: http://www.profabrics.co.uk/products/16oz-cotton-duck-canvas?variant=5940827651 ? I think its worth mentioning that i will be dying and waxing it afterwards :)

Cheers Floki

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE