Best knots that can be tied with mittens on...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
What are the best knots that can be tied without removing you mittens?

Let's try and form a consensus as to the best knot of each type e.g. best slip knot, best lashing, best for joining ropes together etc...

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Sheet bend, especially if one of the parts involved already had an eye in it.
It would make sense to look at your gear in the warm & dry and determine where an eye might handily replace a bare end. It's half a knot already done.
'Mittened' is a situation where it might also be worth considering proprietary securing devices, such as this.

Marlinespike hitch is another which springs to mind. Used in conjunction with a toggle and an eye, it would be a very capable tool.

Timber hitch.

Clove hitch.

Constrictor (in the bight).

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
For a slip knot-the Evenk hitch. Almost identical to the slip knot but with an extra twist.

Can be easily tied/untied with sausage fingers in mitts.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
If you don't know what most knots are called (like me) then this could be a tricky thread.

To answer ID's question, the only one I know is the Saami reindeer herder knot that Uncle Ray showed one time. It is a simple slip knot that I also use as the first part of rigging a tarp ridge line. Designed to be tied with mittens and undone with one pull, hence being handy if you come across a reindeer you don't want to lose.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
some knots can be tied with mittens but ''untieing'' those same knots with mittens is even harder, a good many knots can be ''slipped'' (with the end doubled back) to make it very easy to untie with or without mittens, knots such as the tautline/the bowline/the second half hitch of a double half hitch, can all be ''slipped'' by passing the end through doubled (as can any knot where the end of the string is used to finish knot) and those knots simply fall apart when that end is pulled to release knot, that is also how the evenk knot works, for example two lenghts of string/rope can be joined by using two bowlines that are both slipped, simple to untie with mittens, even the fisherman's knot commonly used for joining two lengths can be finished by ''slipping'' the ends to make untieing easier (the fisherman's can be more fiddly to tie though with mittens)

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
If you don't know what most knots are called (like me) then this could be a tricky thread.

To answer ID's question, the only one I know is the Saami reindeer herder knot that Uncle Ray showed one time. It is a simple slip knot that I also use as the first part of rigging a tarp ridge line. Designed to be tied with mittens and undone with one pull, hence being handy if you come across a reindeer you don't want to lose.

the one uncle ray told us about its supposed real name is the Evenk slippery Hitch now i could be wrong though because some nots do have millions of names

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!

You coud search for the knots(though still relies on there use of the name) on here, Animated knots :D

Agreed the Evenk knot was devised by the tribe of the same name, they are native to the side of Lake Baikal in Siberia. A reef knot is a simple knot for joining two ropes together and can easily be done in mitts-might struggle to put stopper knots on them though! And the good old square lashing can be done with gloves on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE