best knife metall for a full flat/scandi grind

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I have an Aitor and a Marbles. Both in a moly/chrome/vanadium mix. I've found both fantastic. I think they are classed as high carbon Stainless steel.
molybendium steel seems to be the best thing since sliced bread, tough flexible and hard.

01 toos steel has a good reputation and high price tag

and the well worked smithy steel with its layered carbon also seems to be well respected.

really I'm looking for a shallow grind that does not require alot of metal to stop it decaying. Re one of the earlier posts, its for wood so it does not need to be overly hard scandi or full flat, just shallow and thin without loosing its edge. Will try the molybendium, superb for hacksaw blades so it should do me easy.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Has anyone used M2 high speed steel?

The same stuff as used for heavy duty saw blades, it appears quite flexible despite its 0.85 per cent carbon content. It has 6.4 per cent tungsten too. I know its very susceptible to rust but otherwise I have no experience with it.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
http://www.britishblades.com/forums...1-Steel-testing-underway&highlight=Aarongough

this thread is worth a read. The results were interesting.

Not an all inclusive test by any stretch but worth a read.

Andy

thanks for that, will make a good read. Theres a similar thread on spyderco, buts thats all I found.

Has anyone used M2 high speed steel?

The same stuff as used for heavy duty saw blades, it appears quite flexible despite its 0.85 per cent carbon content. It has 6.4 per cent tungsten too. I know its very susceptible to rust but otherwise I have no experience with it.

now I know your just tossing things out there, hss, whilst a lowish carbon content, the tungsten makes it incredibly brittle. Similar to high carbon steel it is inflexible and inelastic I should think. what where you thinking.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Probably the most accurate answer.

Bad heat treatment will ruin any steel, good heat treatment, will make any steel good.

01 and the like should not chip, break, roll, etc if the knife has been made properly.

I guess any knife badly made or mistreated will perform badly.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
to be honest a micro bevel (3 bevel?) knife may be what I'm after. Dunno really. Have just read most scandi grinds are thick, so not what I'm after, and a full flat a bit flimsy ?

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
http://www.britishblades.com/forums...1-Steel-testing-underway&highlight=Aarongough

this thread is worth a read. The results were interesting.

Not an all inclusive test by any stretch but worth a read.

Andy

wierd read as most say that a2 is omplete carp. Alot of hard work by the man though. I would like to see someone do an angle test, as in what angle a blade can be at with different metals without curling when minimal pressure is applied.

Hill bill, I've have a look.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I am looking for a knife to use on wood primarily. According to various sources its either a full flat or scandi grind, in terms a one bevel shallow grind. Some have a full flat as two bevels, some the scandi, and some one bevel each at differing angles.

What knife or knife material is best.

I have found high carbon steel brittle which is annoying, stainless curls easily, flakes and is difficult to put a good edge on. Both these metals seem better suited to more broad grinds.

Any ideas

missuse!

well I ve bent ss knives and snapped carbon steel of a sort, but the bending is a lot less quick often or catastrophic.

Maybe I shouldnt spend alot.

It sounds like you need a knife that can be replaced indefinitely under warranty. Have you used these? ESEE Knives

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
This is a question that seems to come up quite often.
I would recommend you look at some of the stickie threads over in the edged tools area.

I strongly recommend some of the newer hybrid grinds, that one that appeals to me the most is the Flandi grind made by our own FGYT. As to steel I do believe that there is not one that will do all jobs with great excellence and therefore it is a trade off. I've seen that Jon Mac has moved over entirely to bearing tool steel 5210 and some other wood working folks have as well- in my opinion it is a great steel that is worth looking into.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
This is a question that seems to come up quite often.
I would recommend you look at some of the stickie threads over in the edged tools area.

I strongly recommend some of the newer hybrid grinds, that one that appeals to me the most is the Flandi grind made by our own FGYT. As to steel I do believe that there is not one that will do all jobs with great excellence and therefore it is a trade off. I've seen that Jon Mac has moved over entirely to bearing tool steel 5210 and some other wood working folks have as well- in my opinion it is a great steel that is worth looking into.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

What also has to be taken into consideration is ones ability to renew and maintain that grind - often in the field in tough conditions.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
I really don't understand any of this thread apart from what Hill Bill said. Discussing how knives perform based on the type of steel is just nonsense. I've seen carbon steel blades which were intentionaly manufactured to be soft so they need sharpening often. They can be resharpened on a rock to a razor edge though, which was the makers intention. I've also seen cheap stainless ie 440A, which will keep an edge for ages when carving hard wood, but which are harder to sharpen.

I've carved a spoon fron seasoned oak using a £10 Roughrider; a cheap Chinese knife made from 440A stainless, It didn't chip, roll, break or any other such oddities and it came up a treat with a few swipes on a 3 inch mini sharpening steel. They have the HT spot on with that steel.

Bad use of the wrong knife for the wrong job together with improper sharpening and it's all to easy to end up obsessing about finding the perfect ''super steel''.

As Hill Bill said it's all in the HT. The makers intention is also important. A case in point is Buck. They make hunting knives and are intentionaly hard to stay sharp long enough to process a carcass. They weren't designed or intended to be battered into wood so when folks do that and they break, they consider Buck knives to be crap.

I guess it's easy to get distracted if we're buying knives based on how they look, the price and the image, which is a shame I think. We don't do that when buying a hammer or a screw driver. We don't then batter the screw driver through solid objects with the hammer then complain when the screw driver breaks. I mean we've all done it but we know not to complain because we know it's our own fault.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
What are lauri carbon steel blades made from (ie what specific grade?) I have one of theirs its tough as old boots, the only times its chiipped or rolled is when I attempted to cut metal with it...:lmao:

EDIT post, I answered my own question, this is an analysis of Lauri carbon and stainless steels

Steel analysis
Carbon steel: HRC 59
C-0,81 Mn-0,56 S-0,004 P-0,01 Si 0,35 V-0,161 Cr-0,54
Stainless: HRC 57
C-0,479 Si-0,37 Mn-0,38 Ni-0,09 Cr-14,53 Mo-0,51 P-0,019

Whatever, their blades are good for me I use it nearly every day

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
well there are steels that can take a more narrow edge like a scandi, without becoming fatigued, a cut throat razor of old being an example, but usually at the expence of hardness. I don't mind if its not super hard, its not what I want it for, but I want it narrow.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
There's nothing "wrong" with any knife steel. They all have different properties. Hard, brittle, tough.... It's all a trade off.

I'll gladly loose some hardness for some toughness. But at the end of the day I require a knife to cut things.

Mistreating a knife is still mistreating a knife!

01 is popular. Old files are fine, so is spring steel. D2, A2, the list goes on.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Just use a good steel, 1095 or 01 is fine as are 12c27 or something like 440c in the stainless camp.

Or if you really want and can get it Cpm 3V or rwl34.

To be honest the geometry of the blade is more important than the steel (as long as its decent steel)

If you use it as a prybar then a differentially heat treated carbon steel will be best and have it thick. If you want a cutting tool then make a thin blade of something like rwl 34 (01 is still fine though)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE