Best kit of the year

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hodge

Nomad
Aug 3, 2018
West Midlands
It's that time of year again! What has been your best purchase other year in terms of Bushcraft kit? My best purchase has been a North gaze tipi style tent from onetigris. It has enabled me to use my winnerwell stove safely and has been big enough to allow me to use a camp cot. This has been a game changer as the cot as supported my muscular problem and enabled me to attend the moot.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That's approximately what you have to expect if you nowadays buy a Silva product. Did I already mention that it's Chinese garbage?

That's why I recently bought a Breithaupt Conat 4 compass, directly in the factory in Kassel, because it's cheaper there than in other shops.
It should work fine for the next 40 years, or whatever. Buy once, cry once.

Spare parts for older Breithaupt models are still available by the way.

And I managed to get a used Arwy Sting in DPM and very good condition for 70 €.
And I got some Falke TK1 wool socks in beige. That's very nice!

:mexwave:

The Conat 4 is made in Germany, the Arwy Sting in Belgium, the Falke socks also in Germany. The stuff works how expected.

Last edited:

Cuckoo996

Sep 8, 2023
Wales
My new OneTigris hammock setup.
Kompound Hammock, 13x10 tarp, Night Protector Underquilt, and the down blanket.

So far they have all been brilliant

Reactions: Toddy

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
A green mackinaw wool vest made by Filson - I have had it a while but only really got to understand it recently. Same with a Danielsson 7-12 reel. Just takes time for things to sink in.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
The folding wood stove I got at the wild in us festival, and the one tigris smokey hut from dances with helicopters.
Then there is the swandri coat I have saved and saved for two years to get, which has kept me deliciously warm out in the woodland so far this winter.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im not sure; Ive been too busy working to do much in the outdoors.

Local OS Maps
Gerber folding stanley knife
paracord odds and ends
vast quantity of belt waste (ie leather thonging)
A tunic and lukha I made from a blanket Tombear sent me yonks ago.

Reactions: Ozmundo

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I got a Swandri shirt for Christmas, since I can look the part whilst swearing as I fail to get my tinder lit! :banghead:

I must have been very good as I also got a helikon claymore bag. Now my default bimble luggage instead of a canteen and utility pouch on a belt.

Just got them but I like them a LOT.

I’ve been using a multimat 38 in my bivi bag. I cannot see using anything else outside of summer. Just very comfortable.

Reactions: Minotaur

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
Not strictly bushcrafty, but something I use to make stuff for the field...

I finally got around to making a few swaging, fullering and anvil tools that - having made them and found how much easier they make things - lead me to yet again wonder why I was so daft as to have not done it years ago... :banghead:

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
To be honest I prefer it being relatively slick. There are enough sections to lash things on the outside or attach clips.

0C24806A-D325-4E75-97C5-A7EA6204C8E2.jpeg

Mine has a USGI Canteen cup and stove in one front pocket, nylon tarp set up plus folding mug in the other. Fire kit, wind shield, bcb stove & snacks inside. Whistle, rubble sack, first aid items, note paper and pencils in the outside slots. Sit mat bungied on the bottom. Enough room in it for a meal satchet too and a folding saw or axe on the outside without getting heavy.

The trouble with the bigger satchel was that it is easy to overload it for a comfortable single strap shoulder carry.

8558EAFC-9E58-4FF2-8A78-276132E53C4F.jpeg

Goodbag but mine got used as a mobile filing cabinet. There are cheaper bags for that! Does work as a Break down kit but it I had to walk home I’d rather have a 20L pack.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Claymore bags are underrated. I had one years ago (genuine issue) and used it so much I had it tailored, adding a map pocket to the back with velcro closure, velcro closure to the front, and elasticated straps on the inside. On thinking about it, only god knows what happened to it.........

With a quick modification, the genuine issue claymore bag also makes a very good chest rig.......

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
When you look at them it’s really a small development of an age old design. Bags of similar shape and dimensions turn up in Bruegel paintings (as do bumbags), medieval pilgrim scrips, likely Iron Age wool satchels and they probably had them woven from grass in prehistory somewhere.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE