Best compact sleeping mat on a budget.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trotsky

I hit the button on one of these recently, http://www.thisisitstores.co.uk/cam.../self-inflating-roll-mat-black-green-all.html
I don't expect too much from it, but at the price, I figured not a lot to lose.

I got one of the Trail self inflating mats for my other half at xmas. Her's is the model with the built in pillow, I had viewed them with some suspicion until I saw them reviewed on the forums here. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised, they seem rather good. I've just had another look on Amazon and they're now offering more styles, double and single, with and without pillow, 5 and 10cm thick. The bogstandard mat is £11.99, £24.99 for the thicker one, can't really argue for the money!

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
RAPPLEBY2000, you yourself kinda ignore the OP where he says he'll use a 30L backpack. I doubt that thing would fit in a 60L pack even :D

Edit: this just demonstrated the old saying: Price, Quality, Bulk/weight. Choose 2.

I'm oldschool, I've been doing this 30+ years, like many people I've never considered rollmats or inflatable pads inside a rucksack, they've always been strapped on the outside, In the army we even carried the rollmat and the sleeping bag (in a bin bag) outside the rucksack (58" largepack), we had to, as the bag was only about 30L....
Fabric has changed and kit has changed but roll mats will always be an outside thing for myself and many other people.

anyhow I digress, storing it was secondary, I was following the 1st remit of:

"Best compact sleeping mat on a budget",

...well, I doubt very much you'll find a cheaper new one! ;)

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
"Best compact sleeping mat on a budget",

...well, I doubt very much you'll find a cheaper new one! ;)

I looked through your instructions - you've four quid for the cheap mats, plus a couple of quid for the insulation stuff, and then there is the duck tape. So possibly 8 quid or more. And you've got to stick it together yourself. And you end up with whats basically a large closed cell mat, which is so uncompact that its not much smaller than the average rucksack. And its got duct taper all over it.

You could buy a surplus closed cell mat for about a tenner from Endicotts, or Go Outdoors will do a super cheap self inflating mat for as little as £7.50. Aldi/Lidl will often do a heavish but reasonable self inflating mat for £14.99. There is no need for DIY, or suck tape, and they are reasonably compact.

There are some things worth making at home, and there are some things that are not.

Bywrongun

Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
Thanks for all the great comments, I have taken them all onboard and it came down to 2, the alpkit airo 120 and the multimat adventure 25. I have just placed an order for the multimat and will let you know how I get along with it. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
The 35 or the 38 are comfortable and rugged enough...

The trick with these is to NOT overinflate as you can separate the insides and make sure you don't overtighten the valve either as they can sometimes turn loose and become obsolete...👍

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Don't, and I mean don't carry an inflatable mat on the outside of your bag as recommended above by RAPPLEBY2000. One brush against bramble, rose, or Hawthorn will see you not enjoying your mat very much. Pack the inflatable in the centre of your pack or against the back. I've learned the hard way.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I've just taken a punt on one of these:

Multimat Expedition Summit Compact 38 Self-Inflating Camping Mat https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VVJX..._O2BMybPZZPHW8

I wasn't prepared to spend too much on a mat as I don't always sleep on the ground. Multimat however seem to make some good stuff, and the only negative comments I've read about them seem to be more about user error/stupidity than the actual product itself. Plus I also love the fact that the bag can become a pillow!
Will see how it performs on this months camping trip

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
They're the mutts nuts mate, you won't regret your purchase.👍

They're spot on . Just beware of the user errors...

1- over inflate
2- over tighten the valve
3- fail to clear pointy/spikey objects under it when setting up .

Other than that, it will perform very well!👍

I've just taken a punt on one of these:

Multimat Expedition Summit Compact 38 Self-Inflating Camping Mat https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VVJX..._O2BMybPZZPHW8

I wasn't prepared to spend too much on a mat as I don't always sleep on the ground. Multimat however seem to make some good stuff, and the only negative comments I've read about them seem to be more about user error/stupidity than the actual product itself. Plus I also love the fact that the bag can become a pillow!
Will see how it performs on this months camping trip

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I find the self inflating ones too heavy. Nicer to sleep on on uneven surfaces, but I rater prepare the ground and carry a light one.
I use a closed cell mat, with a kind of waffle design. Cut back both on width and length.

When I was young and strong (teenager) i used carry a proper lilo. Had two functions, to sleep on and to fish from on lakes.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I know what you mean about the closed cell mat. I've been using one on a few of my recent camps and have used leaf litter to make a mattress. It's very comfortable. I just wanted an inflatable mat to use when this isn't always possible

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
The trick with these is to NOT overinflate as you can separate the insides

If its a foam based self inflating mat, that shouldn't be possible - the foam inner 'remembers' its form when uncoiled, and then air comes in through the valve, which you then close when its full. If you try to blow extra air into the mat, providing there is no leak, it shouldn't make any difference, and will introduce moisture (via your breath) into the mat, which means potentially a lovely mould growth! For the lighter tube style ones, then yes, be careful, although the expensive Downmat type ones often even have their own pump!

Self inflating ones are much more comfortable - its like having a mattress, and the thicker they are, the more comfortable it is, and of course you dont need leaf litter.

Nomadliam

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2016
United Kingdom
I just brought a multimat 38 superlite self inflating mat, I am yet to test it in the field, although fully inflated its definately comfortable on the floor at home.

It's pack size and weight is impressive, 28cm x 11cm & 620g in total which for the 38mm thickness is great!

I'll try to post some pictures over the weekend if you like?

Also, a quick question from myself. When inflating these types of mat, what is the best way to introduce air if by mouth is not recommended for the moisture problems discussed previously ?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I've just returned from a cheeky mid-week overnighter where I used my new multimat summit 38 for the first time. I was very pleased with it. Would have had a comfy night were it not for the sound of the trees getting battered by storm Doris! Trip report coming soon!

I liked how the foam underneath your torso was firmer than the foam at the lower end of the mat. I found I could sleep quite comfortably on my side.

I'm terms of inflation, just unroll, open the valve and leave it to do its thing for 10-15min. Then it'll simply need a couple of breaths (by mouth) to top it up. Try not to over inflate. Aside from being too firm and a little uncomfortable, you'll obviously run the risk of bursting a seam.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE