best cold weather batteries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

some like it cold

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2009
forest of dean
Hi as a few of you know im headed to canada in january and hoping to take loads of photos the camera im borrowing takes aa batteries and im wondering what people have found are the best batteries for a digital camera in cold weather?

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Generally I find none of them are very good in the cold and so I tend to keep them in an inside pocket until needed.It's not very conveinient but when you need them they do work.Don't buy cheap either ,very often they dont work when new as they don't carry the milliamperage to power some cameras.A good type is lithium batteries.

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
I know this is quite what you are asking, but for extreme cold I find it is often good to carry a small old (as manual as possible) film camera as a back up to the digital just in case. Personally I carry an Olympus XA in an inner pocket, I know its not totally manual but doesn't need its battery for a much as a modern digital.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I don't know about real sub zero extremes, but I have found lithium to be the only reliable batteries when there is a heavy frost outside.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Lithium batteries. I also found the GP Recyko worked quite well in the cold, much better then the old type NIMH battery.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
I know this is quite what you are asking, but for extreme cold I find it is often good to carry a small old (as manual as possible) film camera as a back up to the digital just in case. Personally I carry an Olympus XA in an inner pocket, I know its not totally manual but doesn't need its battery for a much as a modern digital.

One of the reasons I went digital was that I couldn't get the Mercury button cells for my Olympus OM1 the wein (sp ?) equivalents were not liked by the light meter and come on how much Mercury was in a button cell compared to fish http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/faq/mercuryfish/
only joking cheers Danny

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
I chose my digital compact to take to Norway(Olympus SP370) partly because it took AA batteries. Lithium is definitely the way to go - take a few more than you think you'll need, and keep a spare set of batteries with you in a pouch next to your body under your outer clothes - near the armpit or abdomen seems to work best for me.

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
One of the reasons I went digital was that I couldn't get the Mercury button cells for my Olympus OM1 the wein (sp ?) equivalents were not liked by the light meter and come on how much Mercury was in a button cell compared to fish http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/faq/mercuryfish/
only joking cheers Danny

I guess that's an important lesson in not eating batteries nor trying to power your camera using fish.

Problem with film at very low temperatures is that it can become brittle and snap in the camera. Then you get the classic where you are continuing to shoot and wind on, but the film is not going through the gate. (Check the rewind knob is turning, wind on gently, don't use a drive).
IMHO digital is a better option at low temperatures.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi All,

A trick I used to use to stop film becoming brittle and it works for cold batteries too was to tape a handwarmer, ( Disposable/Gel/or "peacock" handwarmer) http://www.peacockhandwarmers.co.uk/ to the back / base of the camera. Sorts you out at hight or just plain cold.

Hope this helps.

Cheers GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE