Best buy of the year.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hodge

Nomad
Aug 3, 2018
West Midlands
Now that Santa has been what are your best buys in terms of clothing and kit this year? I will start the ball rolling with my best items of clothing being the Fjallraven vidda pro trousers and journeyman wool lined leather gloves. I particularly like the wool lining to the gloves and palm reinforcements. Also, I like my Luci solar light which packs away well when de inflated.

Reactions: CLEM

Condex

Life Member
Jul 19, 2004
Back in BARRY, AFTER 20 yrs in Asia
Now that Santa has been what are your best buys in terms of clothing and kit this year? I will start the ball rolling with my best items of clothing being the Fjallraven vidda pro trousers and journeyman wool lined leather gloves. I particularly like the wool lining to the gloves and palm reinforcements. Also, I like my Luci solar light which packs away well when de inflated.
I got this fantastic bush hat

Attachments

• A90AD9AA-DD47-458B-B812-14768032B599.jpeg
    A90AD9AA-DD47-458B-B812-14768032B599.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: Hodge and Winnet

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
A few Bic lighters.
BW leather belt, used.
BW Esbit stoves, used (2x)
BW washbag, used (4x)
BW ponchos, used (3x)
BW tropical T shirts used (3x)
BW field bottle, used
KL poncho liner bags, used (6x)
Czech mess kit, unissued.
DPM gaiters, used.
Utility pouches MTP (2x), used.
Bottle pouches MTP (2×), used
Utility straps OD (4x)
ALICE belt, used
Mors Pot, used
Falke TK1 socks, new
Berghaus Atlas 4, new
BW travel bags, used (3x)

Apart from cigarettes and a bit food that's all I bought this year. But the stuff is great!

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021
Waterford Ireland
My varusteleka windproof anorak is probably the best item it's so good that i might get another for nice wear other than that my Berghaus crusader which is good but I'm entirely sure how much it will distribute the load on a long hike i have a pair of British army windproof trousers i love and might be getting some Finnish wool trousers before the year is out.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think who buys a Berghaus Crusader or Atlas should buy electronic kitchen scales with it in one rush. If you don't keep the weight of your equipment in mind if you stuff it into these packs it may end in a disaster.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Best buy? Is that in price reduction or performance irrespective of cost?

If former then it's £329 for a garmin fenix 6 reduced from £600 RRP. In Black's due to their price matching. Nevissports are selling them reduced today for £560. Just as a comparison wrt price.

If it's performance not cost then it's our new house! Covid lockdown proof, solar panelled, green commuting base and in na better place.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I got this fantastic bush hat

I salute your magnificent beard Sir.

For me the best purchase this year has been my Rab wind jacket. Not fancy or expensive but it really has made my hiking layering system complete.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Condex

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
This year.?.....

2008 BMW R1200GS

Cracking condition but due to all sorts of things... Lock down and illness, not riden it much so bring on 2022 :)

Genuinely wish I'd discovered these bikes 30 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikehill

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
MFHU coyote brown BDU trousers. not flash, not expensive but compfy and I like em.

Last edited:

Sebc

Oct 31, 2021
Yorkshire
I will start the ball rolling with my best items of clothing being the Fjallraven vidda pro trousers and journeyman wool lined leather gloves.

Ive actually got both of them as well myself for early Xmas present and I couldn't agree more. I'm also really enjoy my fallkniven r2 scout.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
The flashy things like knives and cookware are the first to come to mind and they certainly put a smile on my face. In terms of changing how I think or view the world the best buys have been various audiobooks, both fiction and non-fiction. I just bought Ray Mears' new book too.

photonician

Jun 30, 2015
United Kingdom
Probably the Keela Ventile Heritage Smock.

I've had a Paramo Velez smock for years, bought from the Paramo 2nds shop on Ebay, but after multiple rounds of washing and reproofing, it seemed to be giving up the ghost when it comes to waterproofing.

I also had my issues with it: it could be an absolute sweatbox when you were working hard in anything more than freezing temperatures. The nature of the Analogy fabric also meant that anything you kept in the big kangaroo pocket on the front ended up getting soaked, either due to the outer fabric wetting through or the 'pump' liner moving your sweat through into the pocket.

After seeing some very positive reviews (this one probably being the one that pushed me over the edge to buy it), I decided to get the Keela smock.

It has been an excellent jacket: it is insanely weatherproof. I dont think it has managed to wet through once in the 9-ish months I've had it, including a full dreich November day on Dartmoor. The pockets are huge, with a big kangaroo pocket and a single large handwarmer pocket that's lined with fleece (that is actually positioned so you can use it comfortably, unlike the 'handwarmer' pocket on the Paramo). These also actually stay dry! I've also found it a lot more breathable than the Paramo.

It isn't perfect: as per other reviews, the hood has naff-all adjustability and feels cavernous compared to the sizing of the rest of the jacket (despite me having a huge noggin).

The other elephant in the room is the expense: £309.95 RRP from the Keela website, although you can find these slightly cheaper elsewhere. On the plus side, due to it having a ventile outer, it wont need reproofing. Unfortunately it looks like Keela are discontinuing their ventile line :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE