Best bushcraft sandwich?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I've posted elsewhere about ultimate butties;
...round of bread, buttered - topped with
..Crispy bacon and red sauce, topped with
..another round of bread buttered both sides, topped with
..fried sausages, split lengthways and cooked on the inside as well, topped with
..a proper fried egg, none of your shop bought free ranch nonsense, topped with
..brown sauce and another round of bread!!!!

If you eat it in a quiet room you can actually hear your arteries hardening!

However, this being a Bushcraft forum, I doubt anything could rival a bacon butty served in camp cooked bread, first thing in the morning so that the smell wafts through the entire campsite ;)

Ogri the trog

PS you folk who like the Marm.... stuff... you know its made from the devils earwax don't you :yuck:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Tadpole said:
Take two toppers or crusts from the end of a mothers pride white thick cut loaf. Toast lightly and spread with butter (margarine will not do) re-toast until the butter has melted, soaked in, and the bread has gone grispy and golden, then coat thinly with Bovril, add thin slices of hard cheddar cheese, grill until the cheese is melting, spread with peanut butter (crunchy) put the two slices together and eat with a mug of Cadburys hot chocolate. QUOTE]

I’d say you were well on the way to your own TV show!

Not at all sure about the “hot chocolate” though.

Cheers

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Ogri the trog said:
PS you folk who like the Marm.... stuff... you know its made from the devils earwax don't you :yuck:

Thank goodness for that...I thought i was in a minority of one :sadwavey:

G

GenghisChris

Roast pork, Crackling, applesauce and a light layer of mayo with a light dusting of pepper (preferebly in a crispy roll but still good in a sandwich)

washed down with a jug of scrumpy ;)

sounds sooooooooooooooooo much nicer than PB + Marmite + tomato ketchup, with a good grind of black pepper.
(Bleughhh)

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
sounds just like my day i had today plenty of pork over a fire in the woods all washed down with scrumpy and whisky and brandy got a little lost on the way out of the forest :beerchug:

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Sounds great but does it keep the mozzies and midges away? ;) But then again after the jug of scrumpy do you really give a damm.

GenghisChris said:
Roast pork, Crackling, applesauce and a light layer of mayo with a light dusting of pepper (preferebly in a crispy roll but still good in a sandwich)

washed down with a jug of scrumpy ;)

sounds sooooooooooooooooo much nicer than PB + Marmite + tomato ketchup, with a good grind of black pepper.
(Bleughhh)

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
Best sandwich I ever had (and my friend concurs that it was his best ever also) was a slowly smoked pork sandwich. The pork was rubbed with a mix of freshly ground Hawaiian salt, sea salt and black pepper and dipped in a citrus marinade of lemon, lime, orange juices (fresh squeezed, of course) with a lot of minced garlic and a little salt and pepper.

The pork was then slow smoked using Kiawe (I think it is a type of Hawaiian mesquite) to about a medium well. Sliced very thin and left in the juices that squirted out of it while it was sliced. Toasted bread, but I forget what kind of bread I used that day, but it was rubbed with raw garlic after toasting. Then I put a citrus mayonaise on the bread. It was mayonaise with lemon, lime and orange juice mixed in with fresh ground salt and fresh ground black pepper.

Thin slices of pork piled on about a inch and a half thick and it was the best sandwich I have ever had. My friend keeps hinting at having it again.

Hawk Hawkins

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2005
Tennessee, US
Crisp fried ham or bacon...somedays both topped with brown mustard chedder cheese and a fried egg all on thick sliced toasted wheat bread.
Breakfast, lunch, or dinner fit for a king.
Hawk

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
If I have to eat a peanut butter sandwich for me the ultimate one is:

Freshly baked wholemeal bread.
Real butter
Crunchy peanut butter
Honey
Sliced banana

In that order on the sandwich.

What I usually like to make for myself is:

Tortilla wrap with:
Olive oil mayonnaise
Slices of Emmantal or Leerdammer cheese
Slices of saucisson sec (French salami)
Parma ham (if I can afford it)
Shredded iceberg lettuce
Sliced tomato

I wrap a couple of these up in cling film and they taste great even after being carried around for three or four hours.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
The best sandwich I ever had was when I was working at a farm and it came lunchtime and the farmer asked me in for lunch .
He asked , do you like tounge ?
I expected the sliced supermarket stuff , His wife produced a whole cooked ox tounge on a long plate which we had with home made mango chutney .
It was superb :)

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Eric_Methven said:
Eggy bread cooked on the campfire with four or five rashers of bacon in between and a drizzle of HP sauce.

Eric

Now ya talkin :D

Another fav of mine is turkey, cream cheese and cranberry or pidgeon breast with redcurrant jelly and iceburg lettuce

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
Scotch morning roll with a scotch pie and a little gravy...

Although coming down off Scafell Pike at 5 in the morning on the 3 peaks, to be greeted with a hot roll and bacon takes some beating..

Other favourite is a meatloaf sandwich...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE