Best Bushcraft books

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Paul Kirtley's axe book is good. It's very thorough which may feel a bit drawn out if you've been using axes for years but for beginners this makes it idiot proof.

Reactions: Minotaur and Tony

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Came today.

Full of interesting stuff. A good buy.

(I wonder how many modern scouts make stuff?)

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Check out the dump as there loads of scout books on there including some of the pamphlets which are a really interesting read.

I really want a copy of the BSA Scout fire and cooking book that Blackie Thomas keeps talking about.

I was listening to Mor's on Paul Kirtley's podcast talking about how a lot of what he did was work out what worked and what was rubbish. Paul also had a wild food provider who was saying that there a lot of dangerous knowledge out there with people going this old book said eat this and we know it full of poison now.

I really like the idea I have seen of building your own Bushcraft book as you can keep checking info and the latest thinking and add in ideas or even just combine stuff as I have never found a bird book which has every picture you need.

Reactions: CLEM

lotto

May 22, 2023
Glasgow
I got Lars Fält Outdoors The Scandinavian Way Survival skills. It fits my experience levels. A lot for me to learn. I think I'll check out Mors Kochanski though.

Reactions: nigelp

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Check out the dump as there loads of scout books on there including some of the pamphlets which are a really interesting read.

I really want a copy of the BSA Scout fire and cooking book that Blackie Thomas keeps talking about.
Keep checking on eBay, I managed to get a copy of the same year that he said was the best one, copy, albeit, very battered with pages falling out.

Reactions: Minotaur

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Good comprehensive manual. No colour phots IIRC but very well detailed and plenty of B&W illustrations.

Still haven’t gotten around to securing myself a copy of this, I really ought to. It’s sounds very good.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Still haven’t gotten around to securing myself a copy of this, I really ought to. It’s sounds very good.
It probably doesn't cover anything new ( not much under the sun thats new ) but its one of those books I would suggest to people if they were starting a delve into bushy/primitive world.

Reactions: CLEM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE