Best Briquettes to cook with?

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I buy restaurant grade lump wood charcoal from our local cash and carry wholesaler...Bookers.

it gives a steady cooking temperature for 5 hours and cost less than the carp that Argos sell.

Simon

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Briquettes??!!!! Wash your filthy mouth out! :soapbox: they are mostly coal dust and clay, with a little charcoal dust and other things such as salt peter and sulphur in them!

Get some PROPER charcoal, you know the stuff that used looks like the tree is came from ;) Lumpwood charcoal won't make your food smell/taste bad, isn't nearly so crunchy, nor ashy, burns well, is easy to light, is lighter to carry and more environmentally friendly. Call yourself a bushcrafter :rolleyes:

:p ;)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Briquettes??!!!! Wash your filthy mouth out! :soapbox: they are mostly coal dust and clay, with a little charcoal dust and other things such as salt peter and sulphur in them!

Get some PROPER charcoal, you know the stuff that used looks like the tree is came from ;) Lumpwood charcoal won't make your food smell/taste bad, isn't nearly so crunchy, nor ashy, burns well, is easy to light, is lighter to carry and more environmentally friendly. Call yourself a bushcrafter :rolleyes:

He's talking about cooking in a covered dutch oven. Nothing outside will effect the taste. But briquettes will be easier to regulate the heat with. 13 on the bottom and 13 on the top. That'll give you an interior temp of about 350f; the normal temp for most DO dishes.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
He's talking about cooking in a covered dutch oven. Nothing outside will effect the taste. But briquettes will be easier to regulate the heat with. 13 on the bottom and 13 on the top. That'll give you an interior temp of about 350f; the normal temp for most DO dishes.
I don't think you've come across some of the horrendous things masquerading as charcoal that is sold over here. sometimes impregnated with paraffin as well, it stinks when burns and the smell gets everywhere.

Fortunately lumpwood charcoal is also widely available.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't think you've come across some of the horrendous things masquerading as charcoal that is sold over here. sometimes impregnated with paraffin as well, it stinks when burns and the smell gets everywhere.....

Sounds like the same thing we have (briquettes made by compressing sawdust, charcoal dust, and food grade wax) After all that's why briquettes were invented by Henry Ford. So he could find a use for the sawdust remains from the wood used in the early automobiles. But that said, they work very well when offgasing doesn't effect the food (and it doesn't in a closed cooking vessel)

But the ones containing paraffin are usually marketted over here as "Match light" or something like (meaning you don't need a starter fluid to light them) And I avoid those just as you suggest.

I might add here that a very good, non-toxic starter fluid for charcoal is ordinary cooking oil.

Last edited:

leon-1

Weber heatbeads are good

This'll surprise a few, but yeah I'd agree with that. They are the only briquette that I'll buy.

Dave I cooked a shoulder of pork that had been soaked in still cider for 72 hrs inside a kettle BBQ using heatbeads. They burn clean, hot and for a hell of a long time. I normally don't recommend them as they have been difficult to get hold of down our neck of the woods, but if you can get them they are good.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I've used the Weber stuff to smoke a Turkey a few years a go and a double row (one row lit, one not) burned for four
hours.

They are the best I've used, and worth the extra cost IMHO.

drliamski

Sep 11, 2006
East London
Indeed. Light with a sheet of newspaper, 2 capfulls of cooking oil and a chimney. Perfect for slow and low

Sent from my ST21i using Tapatalk 2

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
briquettes are fine to use with a DO, pretty much any of them will do the job. There is a DO calculator app for android phones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE