Best batteries for Petzl Myo 3

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rob_Beek

Forager
Dec 19, 2009
Crewe
Anyone got one?

What batteries do you use? Which are the best AA's?

I need to stay away from lithium batteries, apparently they burn out the LED's in some petzl's.

Thanks

Beek

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I use Duracell. Expensive to buy (though you can occasionally get a good deal) but they just last longer IMO. Maximum longevity for weight I suppose.

Rob_Beek

Forager
Dec 19, 2009
Crewe
Thanks guys.

I've been using Duracell, they seem to only last me a few evenings out, i use the halogen bulb quite a lot for wood collecting and the 3 led's for close work. After a few nights it's pointless trying to use the halogen.

I'll check out those links and get some good rechargables.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I find the LED's plenty bright enough for collecting wood, setting up camp etc so the ones in your Petzl must be different to my model (tikka or something). I've been running the same set of batteries for a dozen or so overnighters and despite being on for 5 hours roughly each night they're still going strong. If you go the rechargeable route you'll probably need a couple of sets to last you. No recharegeable I've heard of has the staying power of a Duracell but I suppose they're not binnable after the trip at least.

Rob_Beek

Forager
Dec 19, 2009
Crewe
The LED's have never gone much dimmer after a fair bit of use, even when the halogen can hardy glow it still seems really bright. I'll get some rechargables and maybe carry a set of duracell's just in case. Thanks for the link.

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
Eneloops*

Sanyo were bought by Panasonic in 2010 so avoid any sanyo eneloops, as they have sat in a warehouse somewhere.
The new Panasonic eneloops are the bomb

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
I try not to use alkaline batts in anything as they tend to leak, yes even Duracell leak. Once you've had something messed up with a leak you will also try not to use them!

So learn from my mistake and buy some Eneloops or similar Low Self Discharge (LSD) batts. Think of it as an investment. Yes it will cost a bit to buy a couple of sets and a charger, but it's well worth it.

Although higher capacity (will run longer) is available in AA form, std rechargeable batts when left not in use will self discharge, not what you want with a torch.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Currently running Ikea alkalines in everything. 10p a shot and outlasting Duracell, Energizer, Evolta,GP and all the other cheaper batts I've tried. Ikea batts will even run my Zebralight on full power, only been able to get Lithium Energizers to do that before finding Ikea batts.

No idea why they run so well or so long compared to others but almost 40 of them have done the same.

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
Look at the manufacture date on any batteries you buy. Often I find duracells at QD stores or even the 99p store. But upon inspection the date is either 1995, or (in 99p stores) the date is blacked out!

So if I brought those duracells, then compared them to ikea's cheapests, yet more recently made batteries, then they would be outperformed.

Dunno how easy that is to follow, but its very important when buying batteries to realize there are very few ways to save money other than buying the right ones first.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Look at the manufacture date on any batteries you buy. Often I find duracells at QD stores or even the 99p store. But upon inspection the date is either 1995, or (in 99p stores) the date is blacked out!

So if I brought those duracells, then compared them to ikea's cheapests, yet more recently made batteries, then they would be outperformed.

Dunno how easy that is to follow, but its very important when buying batteries to realize there are very few ways to save money other than buying the right ones first.

I'm comparing 2037 expiry energizer lithiums and the latest alkalines. I don't skimp on batteries, I need them to work. Battery University pointed me towards Ikea AA's as they outperformed most others. TBH, I didn't believe it either until I tried them.

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
Just to note expiry and manufacture are different, you normaly have to decode the batch number which is.. fun..

I appreciate the info! Maybe you could keep us updated? My torches and gps use eneloop XX; £12 for 4 I think. I have old Sanyo eneloops in pretty much everything in my house and the whole 5+ year lifespan is completely true. If I could get the same performance for 1200% cheaper I'd be closer to buying my boat :D

(o forgot to note the eneloop XX are 2450 mAh)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've been mixing and swapping for a while now, seem to get consistent results. It would be good to compare the eneloops but I don't have any. I don't doubt there are better performers and I've heard great things about the eneloops but at 10p a shot for Ikea and great performance, I'm struggling to justify paying more. I'm going to read up on batch numbers, sounds 'fun' too but nothing worse than running out when you need it and would be good to cut through the bumph and know what I'm buying. :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Good link Joonsy. That mirrors the Batteryuniversity test I saw and confirms how poor I've found Evoltas and Duracells.

On the subject of AA batteries, I ran Wilko's own brand lithiums against the favourite Energizer lithiums and they performed poorly. Half the life and 2 of them had sudden failure at about 1/2 to2/3rds discharge in my Zebralight. Only ever seen one energizer lithium die instantly, weirdly it was the day after both the Wilkos died..

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
That is a pretty kickass list Joonsy.

It will always come down to what you trust more I think. Rob, I would check out your equipment and just make sure you get eneloops with the same mAh rating as your petzl but that's me.
I've had too many things destroyed from the inside by cheap alkali battery acid (because I'm lazy). However I have seen a cheap lithium go wrong too... Hydrofluoric* acid vent. Get's very firey!

I have a Gelert wind up headtorch that I love to use :D

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE