Berghaus Vulcan Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Right this is my first review so bear with me :rolleyes:
Expect Very big photos as i am talentless in modifying them :rolleyes:

The Berghaus Vulcan .

I was lucky enough to have had an older model of these packs in the past so new what to expect ! However its size still struck me as huge . When loaded with most of my kit , it sits on the back real comfortable and gives the impression you could tab all day with it , even though it was weighing in at well over 100lb in weight .
40600002_1.JPG

This is the cyclops II back system , this one is a size 3 and fits me well . I am 6ft 2in tall so should fit most 6ft + people .
40600001_1.JPG

This is the pack nearly full . It is truley a massive pack !!
40600006_1.JPG

Without the side pockets it could be used as a ski pack as this makes it quite a bit narrower . The other advantage of doing this is that you can actually fit through a doorway !!! I got stuck and had to take the Vulcan off and boot it back through !! So dont get one if you have to go through a lot of doors ;) .
40600005_1.JPG

One of the things they have changed on the newwer model is the side pocket zips . They are definately chunkier and have a piece of velcro tha holds the top together when used as a day sack . I have suspisions that this change may have been to make them compatible with the plce kit but dont have any to confirm that .
40600007_1.JPG

This is the rear of the side pockets showing the straps . Not a clip on system like the plce ones but a thread through strap , not as quick too set up but probabley a more secure system .
40600008_1.JPG

The back off the pockets has straps for attaching other items , usefull !

This pack has loads of attachment points so you can carry everything you would need for an extended expedition and then some . There are some removable wrist straps that attach to the shoulder straps for hanging you hands in whilst hiking . There is also supposed to be a hydration bladder pouch , but as of yet , i can't find it !!!
Conclusion
This is an excellent pack and worth every penny . It is strong enough to abuse as i know squadies will !! It is comfortable and will fit just about everything i own in it !! What more could you want ? The only negative thing i would say is that it doesnt compress quite as much as i would like , so if you are not taking everything it looks empty . On the older version i had and my Cyclops Roc I carefully cutt the stitching from the ladder straps that then become the main fastening for the lid , this allows it to pack smaller and tighter with less kit in it . I don know if i will do this on this pack as it has these neat little plastic loops that are attached to the end of the lid fastening straps so you dont have to tape up the slack .
Because of this problem i will give it a 9.5 out of 10

Hope you find this review usefull
Pumbaa

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Please could any passing mod shrink these pictures a little , they are bigger than i thought they would be !!! :rolleyes:
Cheers ;)
Pumbaa

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Good review Pumbaa! I've been wanting a close up view of one of these for ages.

I also note the admiring views from Winnie the Phoo in photo 2 .......... must be good! :D

M

magicaltrevor

You can use a program called IrfanView which allows you to do a batch resize on a load of pictures. Very useful tool.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Vulcan - :notworthy

I don't think the photos are too big.

The clips have changed again very slightly. It still looks as good as ever and I'll definitely be getting one asap.

I used to do exactly that. Golok in one side and axe in the other.

The zip does look very plce like on the pouches. What I would like to do, is to modify a plce rocket pouch yoke, to fit the vulcan. Something extra to carry, but lightweight.

To compress the bergen when it's only slightly packed, you could just put some compression straps around it, or one of those bungee cargo net things. There's always somewhere to hook things to.

Cheers, Julian.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I think you could easily modify the pockets for the plce yoke . If you can get hold of the pocket side buckle you could thread a bit of webbing strap through and lock it through the buckle on the Vulcan side pockets . I think that might work !!!!
That zebra came from Argos mate (SWMBO is glad i picked a cleanish bit!!)
Pumbaa

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Yeah, that should work. I haven't got a plce yoke though! I'll find one from somewhere.

I'm in the process of ordering now. :)

Surveyor

Sep 28, 2005
London
Evening Everyone,
This is my first post on here.
With respect to adding a PLCE Yoke to the Vulcan Side pockets, one can use the yoke from Snugpak.
It comes with the female clips still attached to the yoke.
These can be slit in the top, and this female clip passed through the buckle loops on the tops and bottom of the side pockets.
Now you have the PLCE yoke and the side pockets with the female clips attached.
I did this to my Vulcan. I hope this helps those wishing to add PLCE yokes.

Jed

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Welcome Jed, and thanks for that. I'll have to check out the Snugpack yoke.

First of all though, I'll have to actually get the bergen.

Aug 28, 2004
Aberdeenshire
Good write up Pumbaa
I've just used a Vulcan for the first time as a Winter Climbing Sack in the Cairngorms. I 've previously used an 80ltr Karrimor Jaguar V (for the last 27 years).

The differences between the two sacs are quite telling. The Vulcan has a much more comfortably padded harness and belt arrangement -no doubt about that. The Cordura Vulcan has much more water resistence than the proofed cotton duck Jaguar. And the pocket attachments are streets head of the ancient Karrimor. But after that I think everything goes the Jaguar's way.

Things I don't like about the Vulcan:
1. Lack of Vertical adjustment -by this I mean the main closure straps don't go all the way round the bottom of the sack but are terminated about 1/2 of the way down -where the lid would sit when a full sack is closed. The problem is when the sac is carried half -full -then it "sags" from your shoulders and there's no way to tighten it up. There are shoulder tension straps, but these don't pull the bottom of the sac up. It feels uncomfortable if your kit is bouncing on your bum as you walk! Wrap around straps can be tightened to pull the bottom of the sac as high as you want. Why carry such a big sac half full? Well, winter climbing in Scotland often has you bundling your climbing gear into a sac in poor weather as the light falls -not the best time to neatly pack everything away, so "overcapacity" is very useful. It also means you can use the big sac as bivvy.

2. No internal liner to separate contents from the Alu internal frame. Pity, as it's a great place to stuff a sitmat or a Camelbak.

3. Small thing -but that hip belt buckle is a pig to use with mitts on. KArrimors old design is a doddle to use (same principle just better detail)

4.I'm not a huge fan of the lower entry zip on big sacs, but it's hardly a fault.

5. I think the top pocket zip ahould have been on the other side of the pocket (or there should be two. As it is, it's almost always "downhill" when you open it.

6. The Snowloc (lighter nylon drawstring closure) is way too short -should be double the length at least. Both to provide weather protection opening the sac in bad weather and to improve it's usefulness as a bivvy.

I'll persevere for a little with the Vulcan, but would give my eye teeth for a Jaguar V (5) in good condition!

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Basemetal said:
5. I think the top pocket zip ahould have been on the other side of the pocket (or there should be two. As it is, it's almost always "downhill" when you open it.

I've thought that so many times over the years! Things just want to fall out of that pocket!

Oh...and welcome to BB's little sister! (Jerseyman here)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE